Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

Thanks for the research…and you got to listen to a great, great-sounding lp. Prices sure are steep , I remember when ojcs were a reasonable alternative…

1 Like

Memories of that trip reminds me of our fav BBQ (Leon’s) at the time on Chicago’s South Side, as I recall there was one in Lincoln Park as well:

1 Like

Yup, I scored quite a bit there. Biking with a record though, that’s commitment.

1 Like

You should listen to an album or CD called “Afrisong” by Mr. Abrams !

Hey yes, my only vehicle was a motrcycle for 25 years so I know the challenges.

Thanks for the mention, pulled the LP on deck:

I found many ways to put something on my back before putting my jacket on, stuff things in sleeves, hold them against my chest. etc.

I never did the milk crate/bungee cords on the passenger seat but probably should have.

2 Likes

Blind pull, sounds like fun.

Heh, never mind, not for this thread. Next…

Ok, cool. From 1979 on Black Saint, haven’t heard this one in ages.

Thanks for sharing that info. I am not surprised about the long lead time, since they are basically made to order.

This group has a radio program on Sirius, pretty cool.

1 Like

What do you all think of Jimmy Smith’s style of Jazz playing an organ? I am finding it not all that enjoyable to listen to.

1 Like

Flesh Eaters, well why not? Early Chico Freeman, ya can’t go wrong.

Worth the wait from what I understand. Just didn’t work out for my situation.

Jimmy Smith and the Hammond B3 organ in general I was not a fan early on in my jazz explorations. Over time I’ve come to appreciate it and his style as well. Admittedly, Jimmy Smith and the Hammond B3 is still not my initial consideration for selecting something to listen to. As an alternative to Jimmy I’d suggest Don Patterson, with Sonny Stitt and Booker Ervin:

1 Like

New release on Nobusiness Records. I bought this because I wanted to hear Masayuki Takayanagi play with Masabumi Kikuchi.

Apparently this recording was made the year before Takayanagi’s death, and is from his personal collection of tapes. There are 5 improvised pieces on the cd…but the tracks do not correspond with the cd notes. Weird.

Bassist Nobuyoshi Ino is new to me. He seems very simpatico with Takayanagi. Kikuchi seems a little tentative, he and Jojo dont seem to hit it off until the final track.

NoBusiness is releasing a lot of extremely interesting archival stuff recently…the Sam Rivers collection will have more entries later this year.

1 Like

I’ll have to check into the additional NoBusiness upcoming releases. Your post reminded me of this which I listened to again a couple night back:

Heard Kondoson in a Fred Anderson tribute concert at the Constellation about 14 months back. I miss him.

1 Like

Calming things down with The Bill Charlap Trio.

3 Likes

Thanks! I will check out Don Patterson title you mentioned.

A favorites. I especially like him playing Gershwin’s works.

I like Jimmy Smith.
To me, this is a must have with Kenny Burrell.

2 Likes