Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

Thanks! I will track that one down.

1 Like

Listening to this one again to start off my listening day. I had forgotten how prettily Zoot plays on the soprano sax. Like Barney Wilen he has a distinct and pretty sound on all the horns he plays.

I’m also really enjoying Tana’s subtle drumming. And Jimmy “the Lizard” Rowles. . . when I don’t hear him for a while he immediately impresses and grabs my attention with his grace and “thinking.”

Zoot Sims “I Wish I Were Twins” Pablo cd

Eliane Elias “Impulsive–Eliane Elias, Bob Brookmeyer & the Danish Radio Jazz Orchestra play the music of Eliane Elias”

Saw the cover and had to pop this in. It has all the right elements for this morning. . . great sound, great playing and interesting compositions.

2 Likes

Must be the morning fog, Tethered Moon with Paul Motian? Not familiar with this one.

Beverly Kelly “Bev Kelly In Person” Riverside/OJC cd

Alto Saxophone – “Pony” Poindexter
Bass – Johnny Allen
Design – Ken Deardoff
Drums – Tony Johnson
Piano – “Flip” Nunez
Vocals – Bev Kelly

t’s that kinda morning here, need to clear away the cob webs. This is not for the faint of heart, noise jazz:

Slober Pup joined by Mats Gustafsson. This can sound rather apocalyptic.

I think this was the first Kikuchi/Motian/Peacock trio recording , but under Kikuchi’s name. After this, they called themselves’tethered Moon’.

On the Evidence label.

I blame John Zorn for this.

I appreciate John Zorn for it as well as other items. I still enjoy Zorn’s Masada series, and the Spillane era releases. Peter Brotzmann had a hand in it as well, proceeding John. In jazz I seek ongoing change, which does not always provide comfort or success for that matter.

2 Likes

I’m sad to say I’d never heard of pianist Junior Mance until I saw his obit on TV Sunday morning. They played a cut from this album, and it sounded so nice I had to find it on Qobuz, and ended up buying the download.

2 Likes

I was thinking more of Painkiller…on the aptly named Earache label.

1 Like

If you want to explore his work, my favorite work of his is on the piano bench in the Cannonball Adderley, Johnny Griffin, and Griff 'n Lock bands.

1 Like

Miles Davis “Big Fun”

I had a hankering to hear “Lonely Fire.” And it sounds best on LP so I got out my OG 2 LP set.

1 Like

Bill Barron “Higher Ground”

WOW! Nice sound to this one, as if I am in an intimate jazz club. This is core collection Sonny Clark.

2 Likes

Oh boy. I really shouldn’t ask, but what version is this, and where did you get it?

It’s this one, from the “final series of RVG editions” from Japan in 2017:

I love this material, been listening to it for decades. My favorite version of those I have is this one, the complete version that has a second disc of other sessions: