Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

Calvin Keys “Shawn-Neeq” Black Jazz/Real Gone Music cd

Keeping the groove going.

I don’t have many reference points to contrast with the Black Jazz Records cds from Real Gone Music, but I sure do like the way the cds sound.

3 Likes

sky music a tribute to terje rypdal - volume 2. On Rune Grammofon.

1 Like

Love this music. It works out my speaker’s frequency response.

2 Likes

I have quite a stack of these on cd and find them to be a lot of fun. Soul Jazz from the '70s. Doug Carn was a principle player on the label which I believe was originally based out of Florida, (correction), Oakland, California…

1 Like

Volume 1 is worth seeking out for fans of Terje Rypdal.

Interesting compilation on Soul Jazz Records of London-based artists that have various approaches to ‘jazz’. I’ll be tracking some of these folks down. 96k stream from qobuz, sounds great.

Listened again to the Speakers Corner in comparison to the SHM CD. No way are these the same, as said no reverb on the Speaker’s Corner, dry as the high desert. Not a complaint, just different from what I recalled. Maybe I can snatch the SAM reissue in May.

So you know that you also like the reverb version better. Maybe the dry master sounds like the Speakers Corner…too dull for my taste. Where the other wet versions sound quite artificial, the SAM sounds more natural and transparent. I’d also love a dry release in a quality like the SAM.

Is there a CD version that you guys prefer?

I also have this 24/96 version.

It’s standard, not bad, not especially good. Someone mentioned there’s an SHM release, too, so maybe it’s better than the above one.

1 Like

I really like the Blu-ray Audio disc, and a 2 CD edition that came out several years ago from Europe.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll look into that. Hope there is an improvement. The CD I have is one I bought in the late 80’s or early 90’s. I have to dig it out to find out which version since I stored it after ripping it to the NAS.

@jazznut, not sure if your comment was directed at me; I don’t necessarily like the reverb version better. I did note there is a difference and in comparison the Speakers Corner is noticeably drier. So you know I do enjoy the high desert, especially in the early morning and evenings. Much prefer it to Houston in the summer.

I have not heard that many different versions, two on CD and three on LP, (soon to be four). May I suggest streaming a a quality version initially to determine if it is worth pursuing a higher quality version. That said for cd the SHM-CD is probably a safe bet. Have not heard the Blue-ray, nor the two cd set.

1 Like

Listened to the 96/24 hi res version on Qobuz. Definitely sounds better than the one I have. Already ordered the 2 cd version that Lonson mentioned. Comes with a 60 page booklet for perusing.

2 Likes

Sure would like to hear your impression of it.

1 Like

New cd from Thumbscrew (fujiwara, halvorson, formanek) on Cuneiform. Three compositions from each member, very well recorded.

1 Like

Bindu, first track Remembering Rituals, a duet with Nicole Mitchell and Hamid Drake, very peaceful.

1 Like

Having fun listening to some “London scene’ jazz. Your Aunt is A Reptile, by Sons of Kemet.

2 Likes

Audiophile: Vinyl, February 2021 | Hi-Fi News

3 Likes