Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

2 Likes

More composed and less free for Sun Ra harkening back to the Arkestra sound of the 50’s with an Egyptian sound courtesy of Salah’s compositional skills on Egypt Strut and Dawn. Ramadan and A Farewell heme feature the Cairo Jazz Band, sans Sun Ra and the Arkestra, while Oriental Mood features Salah Ragab’s Quintet.

4 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

In a separate thread the question was asked what is the best Bebop album of all time? Knowing that Bebop flourished in the day of the 78 RPM recording, the notion of an album may be a bit of a misnomer. Due to the time limitations of the 78 RPM recording most songs were limited to 3 minutes for a 10 inch 78 and 6 minutes for a 12 inch 78, so with the time limitations most records of the day did not capture a musician’s ability to stretch out. Regarding albums currently available today they should be considered compilations of the 78 RPM releases.

The fact that most available today are compilations also undermines the notion of “best”. That and the idea that there were some truly fantastic compilations released narrowing it down to just one seems too limiting. Bebop is an important aspect of the post WWII jazz era, and exploring various compilations is a worthwhile exercise. The Bebop movement actually started prior to the end of WW II, but took off with the return of the GIs. The traditionally recognized first formal bebop recording was a February 16, 1944 Coleman Hawkins recording of Woody 'n You on Apollo, #751, 10 " shellac. Featured artists: Coleman Hawkins, Dizzy Gillespie, Clyde Hart, Oscar Pettiford, and Max Roach.

Listed below are some artists that can make up a reasonably strong Bebop collection starter, and acknowledge that others will want to and should add those that I have neglected. Artists that come to mind immediately deserving mention that represent the best of Bebop in no particular order:
Tadd Dameron
Charlie Christian
Sonny Stitt
Bud Powell
Thelonious Monk
Sonny Rollins
Dexter Gordon
Fats Navarro
Kenny Clarke
Max Roach
Clifford Brown
Mary Lou Williams
Charles Mingus
Dizzy Gillespie
and clearly…
Charlie Parker.

For those who have asked me where to start, since it’s release I have recommended a rather easy pick, Charlie Parker’s The Complete Savoy and Dial Studio Recordings 1944-1948.

The Bebop Super Group 1953 Debut release is also easily recommended:

Limiting it to just one CD representing Charlie Parker I’d suggest the 1994 Japanese 20-bit compilation:

In my experience any of the Japanese single CD releases are worthy, but a true fan of Bird is best served by the Complete Savoy and Dial mentioned above.

I will mention one recent European compilation, with reservations due to the sonics as it is a 1950’s bootleg and the sound reflects the bootleg nature. It is mentioned as it is a live recording offering longer playing times with an opportunity for the musicians to stretch out in comparison to the studio recordings.

3 Likes

Mingus, Haynes, Monk, and Parker.

4 Likes

Mary Lou Williams, Bebop? Well yes, after a listen to 1945’s Zodiac Suite, reissued as Zodiac on LP/CD. Originally issued on 6 10 inch 78 RPM shellac records by Asch International, A-620. Mary Lou was known for boogie woogie, and stride piano leading up to Zodiac Suite. Known for being open to significant progressive stylistic changes as shown on Zodiac Suite. Mary Lou was also known as an important teacher and mentor influencing Tadd Dameron, Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell, and Thelonius Monk.

3 Likes

Mary Lou Williams - 63 Hamilton Terrace, Harlem

2 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

Continuing from thread #7886 with some additional Bebop suggestions is May 1949’s The Miles Davis/Tadd Dameron Quintet In Paris Festival International de Jazz. This being the Japanese 2001 SME Records CD reissue. Featuring Miles Davis, James Moody, Tadd Dameron, Barney Spieler, and Kenny Clarke.
Check-out Dameron compositions Good Bait and Lady Bird.

2 Likes

Again continuing with another Bebop compilation gem, this time a bit of a cheat as it covers both Tadd Dameron and Fats Navarro. A 1995 BlueNote CD reissue, the complete blue note and capital recordings of Fats Navarro and Tadd Dameron. My first inclination was to opt for both Blue Notes, The Fabulous Fats Navarro Volume 1 and Volume 2.

2 Likes

There is a Stash recording of Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Oscar Pettiford, and Shadow Wilson performing live in Chicago on Feb. 15, 1943! That sounds like the start of Bebop! Source is from jazzdisco.org

1 Like

I believe this may be what you are referring to. Attempting to define the start of any genre is certainly a slippery slope, as Bebop was evolving with time and surely being played prior to 1943. The Hawkins is considered a more commercial release of its day representing the genre. That said The Complete Birth of BeBop could be it. Others may yet identify additional recordings that represent Bebop that preceded it. I do have it in my collection, but had forgotten all about it. Regarding my Charlie Parker recommendations, there are so many good ones, but I stand by my initial recommendations for those wishing to explore Bebop. My guess is with exposure to some of the recommendations above others new to Bebop will explore additional compilations.

2 Likes

Continuing with Bebop suggestions, there is Sonny Stitt, Bud Powell and J.J. Johnson. One I had put off adding to my collection basically due to the rather bizzare LP jacket design. For me the cover does not say Bebop, more like the Flying Monkey invasion from the film The Wizard of Oz. That said, it is a splendid representation of the Bebop form and a welcome addition to my collection. The lead in piece All God’s Chillun Got Rhythm is killer! Joining Sonny Stitt are Bud Powell or John Lewis, J.J. Johnson, Curly Russell or Nelson Boyd, and Max Roach.

2 Likes

Sonny Stitt’s Sonny Side Up may be a bit of an obvious choice, featuring Dizzy Gillespie, and Sonny Rollins. Adding Tommy Bryant, Charlie Persip, and Ray Bryant. It is a hard line-up to pass up.

2 Likes

Sonny Stitt

1 Like