Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

For Dexter Gordon, Long Tall Dexter The Savoy Session, a 1976 Savoy double LP compilation is hard to beat for his work representing the Bebop era. A second offering on a Japanese Savoy CD reissue is Dexter Rides Again.

…and then there is Settin’ the Pace

In my opinion Dexter’s best was yet to come with his early BlueNotes:
Dexter Calling, Go!, Our Man in Paris, and Doin’ Allright.

1 Like

2 Likes

2 Likes

Continuing with the Bebop heme from thread #7886, I’d suggest Clifford Brown and Max Roach At Basin Street. I’m double dipping here a bit with this one as it includes Sonny Rollins as well.

An alternative, and there are many more, would be:

Where to put this gem, Rollins, or Brown and Roach? Just get it.

3 Likes

Clifford Brown and Max Roach

2 Likes

1 Like

Moving on from Clifford Brown and Max Roach, is Sonny Rollins. His early efforts are highly recommended:

5 Likes

…to be continued…

2 Likes

2 Likes

Haven’t listened to this in a long time! Need to dig it out today.

2 Likes

Nice new release from trumpeter Alex Sipiagin.

2 Likes

Suggested by jghughes2, and being a fan of bth saxophonists from their 1970’s India Navigation recordings I couldn’t pass this one up. Arthur & Chico kick-off the Ronnie Scott’s set with Wayne Shorter’s Footprints. Not only are the reeds spot on but they receive solid rhythm section support. This one is not as far out as those India Navigation sets, but still has plenty of fire for these ears.

2 Likes

As a follow-up to a personal favorite, Jump, I’d suggest The Same River, Twice. Myra is joined by Chris Speed and Dave Douglas.

3 Likes

Straying from bebop for a bit into the free and spiritual sounds of Pharoah Sanders. I can attest to the worthiness of this particular 2021 SHM-CD sound improvement over an earlier 1997 US release.

2 Likes

Music is the Healing Force of the Universe, vocalist and Ayler companion pleads with him, Be Healed, in the opener. Albert was struggling with personal demons at the time and left us in 1970. This is a rather challenging listen, even for Ayler fans. Again the 2021 Japanese SHM-CD is a worthy improvement to earlier CD 2003 US release. The original recording quality is sufficient to benefit from the remastering and current 2021 SHM-CD process.

2 Likes

4 Likes

2 Likes

I would recommend a CD set called “The Blue Note and Capitol Recordings of Fats Navarro and Tadd Dameron”.

As in this from my post #7893 above, or is there another that improves on it?

1 Like