Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

A powerful performance at the Hyde Park Jazz Festival when Ethiopian Ensemble Qwanqwa combined with Tomeka Reid’s Hear In Now, joined by drummer Chad Taylor.

2 Likes

He’s a gem that has always been overlooked.
Another gem was Thomasz Stanko - a fine trumpet player and mood swinger.

2 Likes

Agree on both counts, :blush:
My first two Tomasz Stanko LPs.

3 Likes

Another artist that I was able to see and enjoy at SFJAZZ a couple of years before he went to jazz nirvana.

2 Likes

Moving on to an artists I have always appreciated, jaimie breezy branch. One who left us much too soon. A memorial service is being held on this day in Redhook, Brooklyn in celebration of jaimie breezy branch and her accomplishments.

3 Likes

1 Like

Mood music for a foggy Monday morning. I miss him.

2 Likes

3 Likes

It’s a great Arkestral LP. Rumor has it the Sun Ra Arkestra will be playing locally on or about November 19. Should be fun.

4 Likes

I bought this Japanese reissue because my original cd is way back in the back of my storage unit somewhere and I wanted to revisit it.

Twenty some years ago I sort of lamented the fact that Gil had “plugged in” and had abandoned that airy beauty of an orchestral vision he had. But as time has passed I like these albums more than I had.

Gil Evans Orchestra “Blues in Orbit” Enja/Solid Records Japan cd

2 Likes

Duke Ellington “In Sweden 1973: featuring the Swedish Guests Alice Babs, Rolf Ericson, Ake Person, Nils Lindberg” Caprice Records cd

Blew the dust off this one, a great listen.

2 Likes

Hank Mobley - Curtain Call 2022 Tone Poet

20220927_182524

6 Likes

Legrand Jazz - the recent 45rpm Impex

4 Likes

Getting into this 4-lp set.

4 Likes

41GSJ+3zRUL

6 Likes

R.I.P. Pharaoh :pray:

5 Likes

I economized and picked up the double CD, which is fine, and the performance is great! How are the sonics offered on the 4 LP box set? As I always wondered if I cut myself short with the CD box.

The Creator Has a Master Plan

1 Like

Vinyl is flat and quiet. I’m not particularly pleased with the recording. Considering these tracks were recorded in the early sixties, I’m surprised how primitive they sound. But, that’s not the point. The music is astonishing.

1 Like

This was far from a “professional studio” recording which I think explains the sound.

Right now
Three listens this morning to chronicle. Did a tube swap in my ZROCK2 that is giving me interesting results, and my little furry companion Fiona sleeping on my chest caused me to have a fifteen minute nap in the middle. . . which is probably a good thing.

First

Miles Davis “Filles De Kilimanjaro” Mobile Fidelity Lab SACD

This is one of my favorite recordings ever and this is my favorite digital version.

Then:
Vandever “Regrowth” New Amsterdam cd

Kalia Vandever: compositions and trombone
Immanuel Wilkins: alto saxophone
Lee Meadvin: guitar
Paul Cornish: piano
Nick Dunston: bass
Connor Parks: drums

Interesting music. Kalia Vandever’s compositions are interesting as is her playing and there’s Immanuel Wilkins here. . . a sign of quality.

Now:
Yusef Lateef “Eastern Sounds” OJC RVG Edition cd

Great music. There are numerous criticisms of Blue Note’s RVG series, some of which I can agree to on some issues, but the Prestige series is overall very good sounding.

7 Likes