Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

“I want the music to be hot like my love for you my darling”

Svensk Jazzhistoria Vol. 5 – Swedish Jazz 1943–47 – Jazzen Anfaller disc 1

This series of releases presenting the history of jazz in Sweden are excellent–I have eleven volumes, all I think Caprice Records have released so far.

1 Like

Thanks! Sums up my experience with the CD as well.

For me this album is a whole lot of fun. The playing is tight, and the interpretations are strong while being respectful. Fans of 1930’s Raymond Scott, John Kirby, Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn and Carl Stallings Looney Tunes Cartoons will appreciate the album.

Powerhouse

3 Likes

Nucleus “Live at the BBC” disc 2 (of 13!)

1 Like

Hal Willner Presents Weird Nightmare, meditations on mingus, featuring Bill Frisell among others utilizing the instrumentation designed by Harry Partch on this interesting set of Mingus covers.

Weird Nightmares

1 Like

And those amazing cloud bowls!

3 Likes

And don’t forget the sound quality is very good.

1 Like

Coming from 1968 with either Herbie Hancock or Chick Corea on piano and electric piano. First listen for me was a bit of an adjustment due to the electric piano, which now sounds more of its era than profound. Otherwise a fine album.

1 Like

Well I find myself in the mood for some Eric Dolphy, or for Joe Henderson, Andrew Hill’s Point of Departure fills the bill nicely, kicking it off with Refuge.

6 Likes

Wow, interesting that you are hearing this for the first time. I bought it in '72 or so and I still love the electric pianos from Herbie and Chick. . .which was part of the initial draw for me to the album at that time. (And Tony Williams. . .stretching into new territory for him, at least as far as what was released previously, here).

1 Like

Walter Smith III & Matthew Stevens “In Common 3”

2 Likes

3 Likes

Mayhew Quartet featuring special guest Wycliffe Gordon “Mary Lou Williams – the Next 100 Years”

This is a very cool cd.

1 Like

My description in yesterday’s post wasn’t very clear, typical I suppose. I first listened to Filles de Kilimajaro in the early 70’s. The electric piano on it didn’t do much for me then. I’ve listened many times and returned to it again yesterday, and must say while I do enjoy it more than I did upon an initial listen, the Herbie’s and Chick’s electric piano seems stuck in time to my ear.

Listening to disc 1, Live at Soundscape Interpretations of Thelonious Monk, a 4 CD set, each showcasing a different pianist. Disc one features Richard Muhal Abrams. Fans of Thelonious Monk will be well served with a listen to these interpretations.
Disc 1 features:
Muhal Richard Abrams
Steve Lacy
Roswell Rudd
Charlie Rouse
Don Cherry
Richard Davis
Ben Riley

Another set of Monk interpretations I highly recommend is:

1 Like

Regeneration, a Black Saint LP release featuring Misha Mengleberg, Roswell Rudd, Steve Lacy, Kent Carter, and Han Bennink. A set of Monk and Herbie Nichols interpretations.

2 Likes

Okay. They don’t seem that way to me. In fact the whole album is sort of a world of its own–and the way the two played those pianos is not the way the were generally played by themselves or others thereafter. Sort of maiden voyages before the big cruises.

1 Like

One of the very first LPs I ever owned–a gift from one of the Peace Corps volunteers my Dad directed in Swaziland. The volunteers were given a box of LPs by Atlantic Records, and this volunteer didn’t like jazz so he gave me the three jazz LPs he got.

Leo Wright “Blues Shout” Atlantic Records (mono).

1 Like

As you say, and I agree, a world of its own. These days I am considerably more open to electric piano than I was in the 70’s, possibly as I was keenly following the post Coltrane McCoy Tyner as well asnd ECM Keith Jarrett releases.