Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 2)

Sun Ra and his Astro Infinity Arkestra Atlantis, offering some far out sounds for 1967-69.

3 Likes

3 Likes

5 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

2 Likes

Going this evening to what I suspect is a Don Cherry tribute evening.

Tell us more, such as the venue, the players and additional details regarding the tribute. Will the ensemble target a particular period in Cherry’s life and work?

In the mood for Eberhard Weber this morning and his unique electric bass playing, Live in Avignon.

2 Likes

Steven, as you mentioned the Don Cherry tribute performance it reminded me of one I attended earlier this year at the Chicago’s Corbett-Dempsey Gallery. In addition to Ken Vandermark and Hamid Drake covering the work of Don Cherry the gallery also featured the artwork of Don’s wife Moki, predominately tapestry. Hamid had been a student of Don’s in the mid 1970’s studying and living with Don and Moki in Tagrap, Sweden. They remained long time friends. Hamid shared stories with Don and Moki as part the the performance.

This album is a nice summation of Ken’s and Hamid’s tribute on the Corbett vs. Dempsey label. Speaking with Ken after the set briefly he mentioned an album of Don’s that stands out for him, Complete Communion.

Don Cherry

1 Like

3 Likes

Tonight it’s Kahil el’Zabar joined by Corey Wilkes, Alex Harding and Justin Dillard. Last time he was here it was a trio without Dillard. It’s a one night stand at Ronnie Scott’s, they deserved a few more nights but maybe they were worried about selling the tickets.

Listening to this oddity, Qobuz files under Jazz because there is no Spirituals section.

Reminds me of the classic Jessye Norman album, which is much better.

I heard him in the Bach B Minor Mass just over a month ago, more recently he was singing at the coronation with the Monteverdi Choir. He may be a fine Alto, but our local boy Hugh Cutting is fabulous, seen in this video at 1:04, the blond guy on the left.

NativeDSD says they have a CD. Most likely a CDr. It’s about $29 shipped to me so paused on the purchase until I investigate more.

1 Like

Steven enjoy the show, booked Kahil and his various ensembles in Madison’s Cafe Coda over the last few years. Seen Kahil in Chicago as well. This is a fine quartet, and Justin is more than capable of “funking it up”.

Look forward to your reaction to their performance as Chicago and Detroit visit London.

IMG_0061

3 Likes

I did see that Native DSD has hires downloads in DXD and DSD. Originally recorded in DXD.

I may get a hires download.

Thanks. That’s what I found out as well late last night. NativeDSD has hires downloads available (originally recorded in DXD). That’s the route I may take.

IMG_0062

4 Likes

IMG_0063

4 Likes

A great one indeed, and speaking of John Abercrombie I just can’t get Parable from Characters out of my head. A fine John Abercrombie piece.

4 Likes