Simply Blues

Time to start a “Blues” thread. Starting off with the title track by Sven Z and the Chicago Express.

Single track streaming on Qobuz. Nice instrumental cover.

This digs deep into the Chicago Blues Scene of the '70’s, Maxwell Street, and then Kingston Mines.

1 Like

3 Likes

Great thread. It’s more music 101 education for me.

3 Likes

I am cross posting this in the Blues thread as well, and have it in the Strictly jazz sounds where one can read my impressions. Is it blues, well it has a soulful and funky feel to it.

1 Like

Who’s who of the Blues.

5 Likes

You got my Chicago Thang goin’, yes indeed you do.

4 Likes

… now for my Bessemer Alabama thaang. The real deal juke joint. It’s proprietor a grave digger by day, and Juke Joint skirt chaser by night. The real deal, tin roof and all.

6 Likes

2 Likes

The cover is rather off putting IMO, but the music is WOW!

1 Like

Yes, I agree… I have no control over the cover :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have a couple that are down right nasty, covers that is. Best that I not post them here.

2 Likes

My absolute favorite Blues album (and it’s even DSD). Only this one of him…and not much else comes even close for me.

2 Likes

Dittos

But please name the artist and title if you recommend the music. Mini reviews are also great.

David “Honeyboy” Edwards embodies the continuity from blues’ Mississippi Delta roots to electric Chicago blues. Born in 1914 - at 17 years old he played with Charley Patton, “Honeyboy” was 87 on this recording from 2001.

4 Likes

Well here we go:
A Blues Compilation from 1976 less images, with a link to Discogs providing all the necessary details:

Copulatin’ Blues - Stash ST-101

Copulatin’ Blues

1 Like

Yes, good ole Honeyboy Edwards and the North Missippi Hils Blues sound. Going back to the hill country, versus delta, fife and drum sound, as well as the Hemphill family. Certainly a lot of fine blues came out of Holly Springs, Mississippi. Then there is R.L. Burnside, Junior Kimbrough, T-Model Ford, …
Road Trip anyone…?

1 Like

For me the blues is best in the flesh, heard live. It is the vibe, the dancin’, the sweat and the buzz, and then some… Not for the faint hearted. So get yer mojo workin’, and get some grindin’!

5 Likes