Sunlight: Installation and Technical Issues

I leave my card in all the time, I don’t think I’ve ever had a second load happen.

No problem, if it worked things are fine. The problem for some is that the install won’t start or at times not complete with I2S cables connected to some non PS Audio equipment.

2 Likes

Nah, this isn’t a problem at all.

1 Like

Is there a reason to take the card out after installation?

Mine reinstalls on reboot if you dont

1 Like

Thanks guys!
Better safe than sorry. :grin:

Thanks for your input, after the fifth reset and second reloading it all appears to be working as it should be.
Thanks again.
Software and computers are marvellous when they work but I’m convinced they have a mind of their own and if they are in a mischievous mood then look out. Off to listen to Sunlight.

1 Like

Hi everyone, happy to see many of you got the upgrade done seamlessly. Unfortunately it hasn’t worked out for me. I tried all the suggestions mentioned above but no luck. Till now have tried the following.

1. Reformatted the SD card (32GB)
  2. Loaded Sunlight on to the SD card and in the DSD but the DSD just goes on to load normally to Windon
  3. Tried loading Yale but same result as above
  4. Disconnected all cables but no dice
  5. Pushed the SD card in an out 10-12 times but still not working.

Any suggestions? Really excited to try this new update!

Thanks PSA team for looking after your Hifi Family!

Do you have the pins on the card facing up when you insert it into the DS?

1 Like

You probably already know this, but the files download as zip files. So, you have to unzip them which is called extract in the Windows world.

that’s what she said :blush:

After powering the DSD down and up for the update, the DSD takes a while to settle, and some burn in is required for the new firmware. Am I correct in this assumption?

Some, perhaps 10 to 30 min? Some people don’t seem to notice any issues, for some of us the sound is a little covered or “blurry” for a little while.

More subtle but still reported is that depending on how many older versions of the software were in the DS and how long they were there the new release might be using parts of the FPGA that haven’t been exercised before - I’ve got no idea how long this might take, but if it’s there it sure is subtle.

Thank you kindly, Ted. Just in case, I’m running a burn in track on my DSMP at present. This was a great last effort and I’m happy I was aboard the bus from the beginning.

Quad rate displays and plays.
705.6 PCM plays but the rate and bits do not display, just dashes.
( HQP shows 705.6 output )
SD card removed after update.

Update to Sunlight this afternoon without any problems. They sound I am getting is amazing! SWEET!!! Thank you guys!

Some of my numbers are different than those shown by ayang90. I get:

FPGA = 0.145 (not 0.154)
USB = 255.255 (not 01.02)

For the first time it was a little cranky on installation, so do these numbers indicate that I have to reinstall?

Install went flawless for this shaky old man.

I want to report my impressions in the first 5 seconds of playing the PST through I2S, wow. A definite improvement in all the details with an added plush feeling.
Switched to streaming via my UltraRendu and played my recent favorite album Malicool; it was plush-er, especially the trombone.

10 seconds of listening is not enough to report, so on to the 40 to 50 hour point.

Edit: Dam I omitted to thank PS Audio, Ted, Darren, Paul and all. I love Sunlight. Beautiful, Brilliant!

Yes. You might have a better chance installing Yale (or some other old release) and the Sunlight. Also a format of your SD card and re unzipping might help.

Yep, loaded and running.