Sunlight: Installation and Technical Issues

Updated to Sunlight on my DS Sr with no problem and using Roon it sound good but every time I change the volume either up or down with the remote it changes input to Is2 and stops Roon. I need some help please as at the moment I’m not very impressed.

Mike

I had the same issue and always have had this issue with new firmware and I have a Jr. The trick I found that works is to first install the Yale and then the Sunlight install should work.

You can find the Yale download in Support/Firmware Archives. I am listening to Sunlight now.

3 Likes

Junior install trouble with me also. Yale did not solve the problem either.
I have tried two different USB sticks, both 4GB
Format FAT32 on windows
copy files

Insert usb
Turn on junior
About one minute with blinking power led
Screen load like normal and menu still show windom

Edit: also tried creating the USB by formatting in on my Mac, same result

Hmmm…I experience nothing of the sort with either DSD nor BHK preamp volume…nor volume in Roon apps. What’s your preamp?

Not using a pre-amp haven’t used one for years my only input is Roon so the volume control on the DS Sr is used all the time.

Sunlight on DSD installation was seamless for me.

I was a bit concerned since I only had a 32GB SDCARD. Fortunately, it loaded very quickly. I was done in approximately 2 minutes from start to finish. Now it’s time to listen.

2 Likes

As long as you have a newer bootloader the larger SD cards are no problem. Before I updated mine (when I installed the DS kit) I had to use the 2GB card which may get more difficult/expensive to obtain over time.

2 Likes

Your trick with Yale worked out for me !
Thanks a lot deanhorn !

1 Like

I think PS Audio recommends using USB sticks that are 2GB or less. I have Yale on a 2GB stick and I have the new firmware (Sunshine) on a very, very old 128MB stick.

You are welcome.

Happy listening!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Sunlight: Sound Impressions

I seem to remember that Ted at some point suggested a volume for the DSD when used with a Pre. I think it was either 93 or 97. Does anyone remember this?

Downloaded! Went to get my SD and realized it must be in the box (which is in storage). :frowning: Ordered a 2gb SD card from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow.

92 but I still prefer 100

2 Likes

Installation went smoothly. Sounds great–more air, better definition and separation of instruments. Now I just have to figure out why the few DSF256 files I have don’t play. Using a Mac Mini running miminserver 2 with the latest minimserver (fully licensed version, transcoding DSF:dopwav) into an Auralic Aries Femto to a Matrix X-SPIF-2 and I2S to DS. The Aries and the Matrix are both supposed to support DSD256. Works fine with DSF128.

1 Like

Tried a 2GB stick but Junior will not detect it (no led blink after power on). Tested both FAT32 and FAT format on 2GB.

I would restart everything in the system. Our team tested this and it is not happening to them.

and worked for me too! Sunlight is now loaded…time to queue up the first track :slight_smile: Thanks @deanhorn and @moonboot

1 Like

Sorry, I really, really, really hate to bring this up and spoil the party.

But, I have a Jr and when I first play it through the bridge, I get the original problem that put the firmware on hold. The Jr is muted, but plays when I change the volume.

Otherwise, I really like the improved sound. The highs are much clearer and have more air without being bright. There seems to be more separation between instruments.

Hi @jamesh

DSD, first try went flawlessly!
All by the book: turned unit off, wait for a couple of minutes, disconnected all cables, inserted SD, power ON, and then SUNLIGHT!

Then, power off, reconnected all cables, and power ON… oh shut… I forget to remove the SD card. A second FW load occurred.
I waited for the complete load, turned DSD off again, removed SD card, and back ON again.

Behavior and FW wise, everything seems to be perfect, but may OCD kicked in… Should I be worried with that second load with all the cables (I2S included) plugged in?

Many thanks.