Sunlight: Sound Impressions

If you Muddy Waters Folk Singer in DSD give this one from Junior Well’s a try!

1 Like

had the same impression. it seemed louder to me as well and i mark my settings on the cd case so i am at the same volume level. i am guessing better dynamic range. However the sound, to me at least, was so much more dimensional and full bodied and just plain richer. All of the past updates have been an improvement, but this one is a damn big improvement. Thank you so much Ted, Darren, Paul, Scott, and the entire fantastic PS team. You guys make a lot of us audio nuts very happy.

2 Likes

Know this one inside out but Sunlight allows me to look deeper into the image than ever before…

Only one word… AWESOME :musical_score:

@Ted & @Paul thanks for the overwhelming view from this last mountain top :clap::clap::clap:

4 Likes

spooky is really a good descriptive. i totally get it

1 Like

First impressions after completely successful upgrade (yes it is!) and my DSjr idling for a few hours. For whatever reason, the first thing I play after a change is Easy Money by Rickie Lee Jones. I know every note, snap, tinkle and cymbal brush. I’m assuming this is a multi-miked, sound boothy studio recording, and it’s always sounded like an outstanding example. I was unprepared to now have it sound like musicians in an intimate space playing together. More like a live performance than a contrived facsimile. And Rickie’s voice sounded more alive, real and about 15 feet in front of me than ever, and more than I thought would be possible with this recording. I am blown away and grateful to have this as kind of a parting gift from Ted, Paul and PS Audio. I don’t know how it could be better. Thank you, and happiest listening.

9 Likes

I will be brief. I like it overall, but had no complaints about Windom.
I use the i2S input and use a Matrix which is fed by a Lumin U1 mini.

1) It’s louder than hell.
2) It has more clarity.
3) Soundstage is bigger.
4) It has more detail and precision
5) Might be a little strident or forward, or even clinical.
6) Blacker background

I have the DS Sr volume at 95.
I do use a Lumin U1 Mini. I have not played around with the Lumin software volume much.
ANy suggestion that people have for those two together??

Edit- I found a thread about the DS and Lumin volume.
https://forum.psaudio.com/t/ds-dac-and-lumin-leedh-volume-control/20891

Thanks to PS Audio staff for their work.

6 Likes

Almost made the same mistake, but caught myself before dragging the files to the thumb drive.

Same impressions here. Junior Wells is materializing right now here.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Sunlight: Installation

Thank you to PS Audio, Ted, Darren, James, Paul and all. I love Sunlight. Beautiful, Brilliant!

I want to report my impressions in the first 5 seconds of playing the PST through I2S, wow. A definite improvement in all the details with an added plush feeling.
Switched to streaming via my UltraRendu and played my recent favorite album Malicool; it was plush-er, especially the trombone.

10 seconds of listening is not enough to report, so on to the 40 to 50 hour point.

2 Likes

Wow! Excellent track! The intro with the vibes is sensational.

1 Like

Nice improvement in sound quality, agree with most of the other posters. It wasn’t as large an improvement as I hoped (or hyped up to be), but all of the firmware updates have been small improvements to my (less than optimal) ears. Still, I’m a happy camper, an improvement that cost me nothing and about ten minutes to accomplish, who can argue with that? :grinning:

Edit: Now that I think of it, there is this one guy …

2 Likes

Sunlight is nothing short of staggering. Everything is better - bass has more punch, mids are smoother, the highs have more shimmer and the soundstage is broader. Emotion just oozes from the songs. I am sorry to see this is the last upgrade but understand that PS Audio needs to redirect resources into the next gen of DAC’s. I look forward to seeing what awaits us later this year.

6 Likes

Made the check…

again purified, more transparent, little sharper transients and top end extension adding some gloss also to voices and most obvious aside of the transparency is much more ambiance all around, especially like a huge bubble towards the ceiling, as if the room opens up. And the bass is much improved again, better controlled, better decay and shape.

For me none of the otherwise described negative tendencies in tonality or top end characteristics are obvious, it’s simply much better again, thanks much to Ted and all involved for another ride!

Not that those main characteristics are difficult to hear (we see you all hear it), but take the first track for noticing nearly everything, especially ambiance and bass and verify bass with the second and transparency with the third + take a nice voice you have available.

6 Likes

Seems to be near universal approval of the update

1 Like

I set the Lumin app at 99, and the DSJ at 88. I am in love with Sunlight -OMG Ted!

1 Like

Me at work reading the reviews and counting the hours to go home and experience some Sunlight.

15 Likes

Wow, a personal concert in my living room!

Clarity and realisim is off the charts!

Over The Rainbow

2 Likes

Just installed it in my PerfectWave DAC. Using the PS Audio SACD PerfectWave transport. I suppose that it is a contender? Showing DSD 64 1 bit while playing my first go to reference disk, Carpenters Gold, cut 1. A little more forward, but hear more things happening in the sound field. Will report back after breakin. I leave the transport and DAC on 24/7, plugged into the P15.

8 Likes

Try this track:

6 Likes