Sunlight: Sound Impressions

With all the posts I wonder how many are having focused listening sessions, hmmm.
Me I am going on a hike. Thank-you to the PSA team for the release, on this rainy day some Sunlight is appreciated. On to the Ice Age Trail.
:walking_man: :hiking_boot: :smiley:

1 Like

Loaded Sunshine without a hitch. Listening to the first cut I from ā€œCashā€, the improvement in SQ was immediately obvious. Clarity, low level detail, and a more spacious 3D soundstage graced my listening room.

Thank you PS Audio and Ted, for delivering another stellar firmware update!

The more I listen the more Iā€™m liking what Iā€™m hearing. Cleaner, smoother sound when a fuller midrange. Very nice :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty blown away by Sunlight. Itā€™s such an excellent refinement of Windom. So much finesse, so natural, i could hear the difference right away and coule confirm this impression later on.
Iā€™m such a happy customer right now, iā€™m having an incredible update for free on my Jr !
Thanks to all guys @psaudio that made it happened, you have done a wonderful job.

1 Like

2PC in RAM DISK with full JPLAY hardware software suite - USB to DAC ā€“ Edcor XS4400 out.
Superbly more musical, rhythm and impact of tones bottom to top, way more detail. I like the increased intelligibility on vocal way more emotive.
Thank you, Ted and PS Audio, for giving this gift

Should there be a notable change via the bridge or is the update only impacting the other inputs?

It should benefit all inputs.

2 Likes

Stupid move of the day/week/month?

Loaded dac software onto thumb drive and tried to input into transport.

Bob, itā€™s the DAC.

I post in case you ever felt dumb. Now you arenā€™t as dumb.

9 Likes

Somehow my last post got deletedā€¦trying again:

With Sunlight I now get loud pops when I play SACDā€™s. I never had this problem before. Two loud pops when I close the drawer of the DMP, a third pop when I hit play (or the track number), and a fourth loud pop if I stop the track.

Has anyone else tried an SACD?

[Your post got moved from the Sunlight Sound Impressions thread to the Installation thread.]

PS Audio is actively looking at it. Weā€™ll post an update when we have one.

2 Likes

I think Ted hit this one out of the park. I find a better soundstage, more separation of instruments, more midrange clarity, all without losing anything. All-in-all I think this is a rather dramatic improvement, nicely done!

4 Likes

Yes there is. Sorry I just noticed Elk responded already I should know better!

1 Like

If you Muddy Waters Folk Singer in DSD give this one from Junior Wellā€™s a try!

1 Like

had the same impression. it seemed louder to me as well and i mark my settings on the cd case so i am at the same volume level. i am guessing better dynamic range. However the sound, to me at least, was so much more dimensional and full bodied and just plain richer. All of the past updates have been an improvement, but this one is a damn big improvement. Thank you so much Ted, Darren, Paul, Scott, and the entire fantastic PS team. You guys make a lot of us audio nuts very happy.

2 Likes

Know this one inside out but Sunlight allows me to look deeper into the image than ever beforeā€¦

Only one wordā€¦ AWESOME :musical_score:

@Ted & @Paul thanks for the overwhelming view from this last mountain top :clap::clap::clap:

4 Likes

spooky is really a good descriptive. i totally get it

1 Like

First impressions after completely successful upgrade (yes it is!) and my DSjr idling for a few hours. For whatever reason, the first thing I play after a change is Easy Money by Rickie Lee Jones. I know every note, snap, tinkle and cymbal brush. Iā€™m assuming this is a multi-miked, sound boothy studio recording, and itā€™s always sounded like an outstanding example. I was unprepared to now have it sound like musicians in an intimate space playing together. More like a live performance than a contrived facsimile. And Rickieā€™s voice sounded more alive, real and about 15 feet in front of me than ever, and more than I thought would be possible with this recording. I am blown away and grateful to have this as kind of a parting gift from Ted, Paul and PS Audio. I donā€™t know how it could be better. Thank you, and happiest listening.

9 Likes

I will be brief. I like it overall, but had no complaints about Windom.
I use the i2S input and use a Matrix which is fed by a Lumin U1 mini.

1) Itā€™s louder than hell.
2) It has more clarity.
3) Soundstage is bigger.
4) It has more detail and precision
5) Might be a little strident or forward, or even clinical.
6) Blacker background

I have the DS Sr volume at 95.
I do use a Lumin U1 Mini. I have not played around with the Lumin software volume much.
ANy suggestion that people have for those two together??

Edit- I found a thread about the DS and Lumin volume.
https://forum.psaudio.com/t/ds-dac-and-lumin-leedh-volume-control/20891

Thanks to PS Audio staff for their work.

6 Likes

Almost made the same mistake, but caught myself before dragging the files to the thumb drive.

Same impressions here. Junior Wells is materializing right now here.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Sunlight: Installation