Switch to Magnepan 20.7 ? From B&W 800 diamonds?

hi again Kevin…if you love the ‘punch’ of the 800’s, I don’t think the Maggies are for you man.
But if ‘atmosphere’ and soundstage are more important…then go for it. Maggies really shine in these areas. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am a 20.7 owner with bhk 300’s and preamp with DS DAC. Ditto what @timm says. The 300’s are a great match with the 20.7s.

2 Likes

I’d keep the 800’s and buy the Maggies. They are relatively easy to move in and out of the listen space. Then you can change your listening mood as you see fit.

4 Likes

If you want to keep your B&W’s a get a good taste of the “Planar Magic” at a much lower outlay than the 20.7 then take a look at the Eminent Technology LFT-8b for $2500 including shipping.

http://www.eminent-tech.com/index.html?fwd=LFT8.html

I like your style.

1 Like

Me too!!!

What I really need to do is borrow some maggies.!!
:wink:

Hi dawkinsj,
I’ve had planners before - Apogee Stages & Duetta Signatures. I loved them - and no doubt the LFT-8b would have a similar sound. Back in the time I felt that the Apogees had more punch than the maggies. A little bit more oomph in the chest feeling than a friend’s maggies of the time. Probably why I’ve never gone the maggie route before. The LFT-8b - does look pretty impressive for the price! I wish they were around 20 years ago when I had my Duettas! That would be a tough battle.

Haha! Touche! :wink:

My brother has 20.7s driven by the BHK Stereo 250 power amp and BHK Signature preamp, and it’s some of the best sound I’ve ever heard. But that’s coming from me, a dedicated Maggie lover who’s owned them off and on over 40 years. It has amazingly natural timbres, pinpoint image specificity and a real sense of 3-dimensional “air” around instruments. Great dynamics and punch, too. He played this standard redbook recording of George Crumb’s “A Haunted Landscape” that just blew me away:

41tDYTMdDKL

I will say, however, that it took a long time and a lot of effort to get positioning dialed in just right.

3 Likes

I have N800s and feel the same way. Been wandering as well, but at horns, or baffles. But, love the sound of the 800s and after 14 years, they still sound just as nice. I listened to a friends 1. Series and the sound was in incredible. They sound nice but are too inefficient for me, I use McIntosh tube amps, hence the leaning towards horns or baffles. Either way, the 20.7, a speaker I wanted to get at one time, and the 800 series are really like different fine wines, different tastes. Good luck with your decision, neither choice is wrong.

I have N805, have you ever considered upgrading the cross overs? Some have done so.

I am not technically savvy enough to cut up a sophisticated speaker like that. But, I would love to experiment with it for sure.

Apparently, it’s quite easy. Nothing to cut. But needs solder work. But what I am more interested in knowing how much of an improvement it could make and some real life experience.

Same here