Synology ds713+ drive

Has anyone tried this drive as nas music server with the pwd mkii . It has a CPU faster than the ds213+ and twice the memory . Any help in this please…

Al D

It should work very well since the DS213+ is already known to work well. I wish I could afford to add one to my network.

J.P.

Thanks , I am just looking for a simple way to play music , without my CPU running .

Thanks

Has anyone tried this drive as nas music server with the pwd mkii . It has a CPU faster than the ds213+ and twice the memory . Any help in this please...

Al D

I am using the 712+ and the only main differences are processor power and USB 3.0 interface.
However, I am using SSD (2x512GB) with default RAID so I guess I have better IOPS than 713+ with rotating drives, anyway.
I am running Minimserver uPnP server on it.
It works well as a NAS music library and with SSD it is so quiet that you can place it in your listening environment.

@alrainbow - as I type this, playing on my Synology 213 [not the + version] is a 24/176 file, being transcoded on the fly by MinimServer from FLAC to WAV24. According to the Synology resource monitor, CPU usage ranges between 20-30%, while memory usage just sits there at 15%. So I would say there is no need to get a more expensive Synology model – unless of course you need more than the 8TB of storage that the 213 supports.

@ALRAINBOW

Al

I sense that you are “on a mission” to “git er done” and to do it all in one “faultless” swing of the bat.

Although the member resources here offer a wealth of knowledge and experience, don’t lose track of the “hobby” factor in all this.

Meaning, the journey and the sharing of your experiences along the journey.

Arriving at “Audio Nirvana” only lasts until you discover the next “best thing” and that is indeed a major part of the enjoyment path.

Add components slowly while evaluating their effects on your system and part of the “sport” is amortizing the cost by catching the odd good deal and or not over-sizing your equipment unnecessarily.

“enjoy the journey because often the destination can be overrated” by Alfred E Newman :smiley:

Yes Gordon is correct, its good to see someone try this, but I’m also very worried, this is a lot of money, I just hope you took my advice and purchased it from a store with a good return policy, I would feel terrible if you don’t get the same or good results and your stuck with it.

I was going to go “temporarily” purchase a different model to test, but I will wait to hear your findings.

Bh photo NYC , I did not buy it yet in the cart though . I also found a 940 gig hard drive class 3 . The drive bays only support type 2. It’s not nirvana I am looking for it’s hit a button and play what I want. And the only way to do this now is with a CPU . I do not care about having the cover art on the Pwd either. And I am fine with a IPAD controlling it all . What I really want is just play , pause , stop , volume . My idea here is to not use my CPU at all. If need be I have a surface pro or iPad for control. Any ideas here ??? Please help.

And I take this as being a very kind group of people here taking the time to say hay can we talk. Thanks

Al D

@ALRAINBOW

Keep in mind that a NAS option also involves a cpu and OS since hardware and software are necessary to run a “server”.

Therefore the split between NAS or PC in the users.

#1 “just play” option is ALL hardwired from a NAS or PC and connected to PWD by USB.

#2 “streaming” is what adds the additional variables. As well as each hardware option requiring slightly different set-up and controller options.

It’s nice to have a choice.

If you install Minimserver on your NAS and connect it to your router or wifi access point, all you need is to install a control point on your iPad, select the minim uPNP server and the PWD Bridge as your renderer . The GUI control functions (play, pause, stop, volume) will be part of your control point.

Thanks but I do understand that . And I assume the CPU in the nas is running minim. As well and doing the converting on the fly. What my intension is to convert music to wave first . Then just play music . The server can be used with any dacs I own if used with a outboard CPU to USB connection to the dac.

It is about 1100.00 with one drive of 940 gig SSD . This is about one third of a music server, so cheap as a start. In looking into music servers the top tear ones have a SSD as server like the PWT does and reg drives to hold the music. So to me the concept seems fine. I will not run in raid as I feel this might impact sound and all this music would be a raid drive already somewhere else. Where can I download the minim software and iPad interface. Any thoughts?? Please

Al D

frode said: If you install Minimserver on your NAS and connect it to your router or wifi access point, all you need is to install a control point on your iPad, select the minim uPNP server and the PWD Bridge as your renderer .

Does one need to connect a NAS to a router, Ethernet bridge, or crossover cable, or can it connect directly to the PWD?

Gordon said: . . . don't lose track of the "hobby" factor in all this.

For many, music is the hobby; the hardware is secondary, albeit necessary.

Thanks but I do understand that . And I assume the CPU in the nas is running minim. As well and doing the converting on the fly. What my intension is to convert music to wave first . Then just play music . The server can be used with any dacs I own if used with a outboard CPU to USB connection to the dac.

It is about 1100.00 with one drive of 940 gig SSD . This is about one third of a music server, so cheap as a start. In looking into music servers the top tear ones have a SSD as server like the PWT does and reg drives to hold the music. So to me the concept seems fine. I will not run in raid as I feel this might impact sound and all this music would be a raid drive already somewhere else. Where can I download the minim software and iPad interface. Any thoughts?? Please

Al D

http://minimserver.com/downloads
http://minimserver.com/install-synology.html
You need Minimwatch on a hooked up computer if you want to keep control/administrate Minim.
Minim can transcode to wav on the fly (it can also do padding to wav24).
You also need to download Java if you intend to use Minim.

Very good answers and I do understand this kinda like listen to the music not the equipment .

Al D

Thanks frod and all really helps me in this …

Al D

Elk said: Does one need to connect a NAS to a router, Ethernet bridge, or crossover cable, or can it connect directly to the PWD?

One needs a router or network switch.

I will report on this endeavor to make other people here feel as hopeless and confused as I do.

Do I sound like Gordon yet ?.??

Al D

Where can I download a file editor for the wave for cover art ??

magister said: One needs a router or network switch.

As I suspected. A switch is cheap however.
alrainbow said: . . . as hopeless and confused as I do.

It is a confusing, even if otherwise computer literate. Part of the problem is that both manufacturers and users are inconsistent in their use of terms.

Gordon said: . . . don’t lose track of the “hobby” factor in all this.

too late

to hell with hobby on my end I’m way passed that on this venture, I need some answers :-??

I did “temporally” pick up the sd412+ for testing =))