Synology ds713+ drive

Yes your right. One of the trades my CO does is networking installs . As I understand the terminology in this I do not design nor implement anything I am just a grunt . Instal wire punch down verify leave . Remember the other day I through up a post regarding my in office network setup with a router after a router. Well I ended up making my office all static . The point is I do not know why and as it all works I’m fine. Well the music is not the same I really want to know why.

Al D

sleask said: . . . to hell with hobby on my end I'm way passed that on this venture, I need some answers

alrainbow said: Well the music is not the same I really want to know why.

We all want to understand why certain hardware types and setups influence the sound. So far, it appears random in so many ways.

But we are slowly learning.

OK, on the subject of NASs…

What is the difference 213, 412, 713 etc.

Is it only CPU and max storage capability?

Is there a particular range that has something more Audiophile featured rather than redundant back-up for data?

ds213 is ds= desktop,2= bay ,last digits = year

+ is performance

713 I’m not sure I think its more peformance

By specs it has twice the on board memory , and a faster CPU. Also has two giga ports as well with USB 3.0. And expandable to 5 more bays and I think to 16 TB . But for me it’s two hundred more and a lot more CPU and ram so this is my choice. As I am not interested in all the bays and I am only using one bay for now… At least if I buy it.

Al D

i suppose you could configure it to “hot swap” your back up drives [ even if not running raid] when you need to do one.

I am guessing but it would be polite of it to do that for you.

That is kind of you . I’m thinking it’s a go for now. And if it all goes south not so bad instill have another network storage to use somewhere… That hot swap thing is a really good idea but for what purpose ?? Help me understand . Why

Hot swap just means that you can add a drive or replace a failed drive without having to power down.

It might be possible to hot plug a conventional rotating drive, configure it as a JBOD drive (Just a Bunch Of Drives, essentially a drive with it’s own name and not associated with any other drives) and back up your data to that drive. Once the backup is complete you could unplug that drive and keep it as offline backup. In general the lifespan of an unpowered drive is more than that of a powered one. This is just speculation and it may be that when the drive is plugged back in later it will not be recognized and the NAS will require it to be initialized before it can be accessed. If this is true then you lose the data and the offline backup option.

NAS is a good thing to have in a multiple computer environment. I liked it when I had my WD My Book Live on the network, but alas it crapped out this summer…

J.P.

I have two of them one at home in NYC and one nc They are both in raid and can connect to my phones for drop box and pics and stuff

But they are slow really slow even in the network. As for hot swap I understand this in raid 1 config no striping complete mirror. But when u change drives everything stops till drives update. So the hot swap to me makes no sense as you are offline while this takes place. But for music it is stored on two different raid drives in different places along with other items of importance

Al D

Any comment/experience about the new Synology DS214play ?

http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS214play&lang=enu

corrpie

@pcorradi@libero.it

Thanks.

Looks pretty interesting and up to date model.

more ram, faster processor, hot swp, DS software, and 2x4gig drives.

For those NOT running a computer, this or the DS$!$ [4 bay 16g] look pretty ideal.

For a Mac Mini or Silent Server type machine I still think a 2-4 gig usb 3 or firewire fanless HD is extremely cost effective.

For Audiophiles I still believe a small multi OS, powerful but tweaked high efficiency server box with ext drives is desirable.

In that case a NAS could still be the “family” back up machine, which is what it is designed for in the first place.

Edit:

Review http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/synology_diskstation_ds414,1.html

The DS414 seems like a sweet spot for someone upgrading or entering the NAS world.

It is a bit more than the ds214 but I think the expansion is worth it and also enables the use of multiple 1g or 2g drives you may already own.

Best bang foe the buck will probably be the discontinued DS413 model and you probably would never notice any performance differences. Then again, it it worth saving 200 bucks over the long term?

So 4 bay latest technology for 400-500 plus 800-1000 for 4x4gig HD or 2 for now and add 2 later?.

Back to square one but with just a bit more input.

Or team up with Simon at Minimserver in order to embed an ‘EMM’ uPnP server on a NAS…

Then you have a full blown solution.

@frode

Exactly.

I did E-chat with him almost a year ago and he was “extremely busy” but open to discussion on integration with his product. Maybe he can be cloned?

Good morning all.

I have been reading the above device specs. It is cheaper than the ds713+. That is good , will this be suitable for my purpose ?

@ALRAINBOW

I was thinking of you while reading it.

Looks to me that the 414 would do the job for you unless you need more than 16g of storage?

The only negative [if any] that I saw was that the “copy” function was limited to USB2 but that is easy to work around.

Good morning sir , how was the scotch mine was delish… It is not available to purchase , coming soon.

As I do not need this for video , but it is cheaper what should I do. .?

One more thing it is not fan less . There is a fan in the rear so this will need to be in another room.

About fans in Synology NASs: The fan in my 213 is so quiet that I can hear it only if I am 3 feet or closer to the unit, with no other background noise. (My hearing is pretty good, too, at least in regard to picking up soft sounds.) And it’s a non-intrusive noise (when it runs), a very quiet “shhhh” sound, not a fast fan noise like some computer fans. I have no problem keeping it in the listening room.

I did notice when shopping that the higher model Synologies are spec’d for slightly greater fan noise (1-2 DB as you move up the line)–I suppose the higher power CPUs generate more heat. If you are planning to have the NAS in the listening room, you might want to consider this. As I said in my earlier post, I can’t see any reason to go very high up in the Synology line as far as audio performance goes (just avoid the low-end ‘j’ models). The new 214play might be good for video, which puts more demands on CPU and network speed than audio does. But even my now-outdated 213 (not the + version) can transcode and stream 24/192 files with no hiccups.

I’m no expert on configuring NASs, but I did some research before buying and came to the conclusion that two disks in a Raid 1 setup, as I have on my 213, provides decent protection (along with backups to an external drive, of course). One important thing is to purchase discs that are designed for use in NAS, such as the Western Digital Red models.

Thanks for replying . As I have other raids working backups will not be ended nor raid . I just want a top notch nas music server . For use at what ever dac I use in my system in the office setup. I do prefer not using a PC running for my music as one way or another it has issues. As I know the bridge is the issue hear and my persistence in using it . So I am just looking for this alone , my intension is a SSD just one . I have found a 940 gig to use with it. If this fails I can still use it as a ext drive for where my music comes from and play it through a CPU stand alone. I have a surface pro doing nothing so I can use this. I picked the ds713+ on CPU and ram memory , as do not need the extra storage in my concept. Any and all advice welcome .

Al D

magister said: About fans in Synology NASs: The fan in my 213 is so quiet that I can hear it only if I am 3 feet or closer to the unit, with no other background noise.

Good info.

How often do the fans run?