Telarc Records

Thinkng a bit about this Ted (and I agree that generally the right volume always plays a role) made me wonder that when a recording sounds better at quite loud volumes, this means, mainly room acoustics are much more involved and give a more colorful sound by their exaggeration of e.g. bass and other frequencies. This again makes me conclude that such recordings possibly really sound too little colorful and involving at volumes they should (as then the surrounding then is more neutral). Makes sense? Anyway in case they do sound better with stronger room resonances, it’s fine to hear them like that.

Most of us can tell the difference between room issues and the correct volume to play something. You may be right that some are confused.

Anyway I’m talking about things getting more realistic as you approach the correct volume. My quibble with Telarc is that with many discs you can’t listen at the right volume too long without getting ear compression, etc., just like you can’t listen to an orchestra too long without getting ear compression, etc.

2 Likes

I really like those label or mastering threads…will try to look a little more differenciated at my Telarc collection and report back when I find something I explicitely like soundwise.

Interesting interview on the beginnings of Telarc.

https://www.stereophile.com/interviews/1098jack/index.html

Yes Ted, I’ve noticed that too. I thought it was just the fact that they were just giving themselves plenty of headroom but I’ve found that, in general, Telarc CDs need to be cranked up to a level that’s comparable to most other CDs.