The Absolute Sound review of the DS is out

I wonder if Vade would consider adding to his review on TAS online, commenting fully on his feelings about the latest firmware.

The way I read the review it comes across as very positive, but after he compared it to a 2010 PCM DAC, (the AR) I interpreted the differences as more on the subtle side. It wouldn’t convince me (if I owned the AR - or even a similar level DAC) that my dollars wouldn’t be better spent elsewhere in the system.

And my opinion is that the DS is first thing one should upgrade to, (of course in an appropriately priced system)

Hi emailists

The DirectStream review is not yet online at the TAS website. When it goes online, feel free to post a question there and I’ll answer. I don’t think I’m allowed to update the review itself.

I’ve only tried the first firmware update at Paul’s advice. When I installed that update, I told Paul I had been listening to Shelby Lynne’s Just a Little Lovin’ in the DSD version from Acoustic Sounds. Before the update, I thought the sound was smooth and focused; after the update I thought it sounded like someone was standing behind my equipment rack singing to me. Yes, it’s true; reviewers actually do talk that way.

The Audio Research DAC8 is a very good DAC, but it doesn’t play DSD. I thought it was roughly on a par with other DACs I’ve heard in my system on PCM, which is why I hadn’t upgraded it. I thought the DS was more realistic with PCM.

This sounds kinda snippy, for which I apologize, but as a reviewer, I’m not trying to convince you to buy the DS, just to describe its sound to the best of my ability. Your dollars may well be better spent elsewhere in your system. I would discourage you from buying any equipment based on a review, especially mine. FWIW, forum member Elk in the post preceding yours seemed to think the review was a rave.

Vade Forrester

vforrest said . . . after the update I thought it sounded like someone was standing behind my equipment rack singing to me. Yes, it's true; reviewers actually do talk that way.

Yes, I read your review as extremely positive and complimentary. I also find you did an excellent job of describing the DirectStream’s sound. Describing the sound of any audio component is exceedingly difficult. You succeeded admirably.

emailists said The way I read the review it comes across as very positive, but after he compared it to a 2010 PCM DAC, (the AR) I interpreted the differences as more on the subtle side. It wouldn't convince me (if I owned the AR - or even a similar level DAC) that my dollars wouldn't be better spent elsewhere in the system.
It is not the job of a review to convince anyone to buy the product under review. It is his role to listen and evaluate carefully, and then to express his conclusions as clearly as possible - while also writing a review which is pleasurable to read. This is a tough job and one I find Vade accomplished nicely.

Kudos to Vade Forrest for taking the time to answer questions on this forum. His responses were thoughtful and humble. I look forward to reading his future reviews in TAS.clapping_gif

+1. Vade, I found your review (and your reviews in general) to be along the lines of how I’d like to see reviews done - which means it must be right!21_gif

After reading TAS review, I totally agree with Vade even my unit is not totally broken-in yet.

“The differences in sound were perceptible, and contrary to my expectations, not really subtle”