The BEAST has landed - my new P20

Yes. Plenty of ladder time. Routing through walls, behind crown molding and bends on 10 AWG romex and stuffing 4!in a 1 inch conduit at 6 90 degree bends not easy. Had I known I’d be buying a P20 it would have been 2 runs and much less time. But lowered distortion well worth the time and effort. Music has sound bmuch effortless ease. I had both amps pushing 2 KW peaks through a P20 only drawing 1500 continuous. Truly explosive and unconstrained dynamics. Prior the amps would be compressing signal with power guard.

Tighten of other legacy connections really pays off. A pro likely not to give a damn and give one a wham bam job unless their your buddy.

1 Like

Oh man, thanks for the insights - that’s just pure gold! I need to just get it done.

Well I’ve now tried the AQ Niagara 500 with PrimaLuna and an upgraded AQ Hurricane 20 amp power cord. Great. The delta between the Tornado and Hurricane is worth the money in my opinion. Using the Niagara 5000 and Hurricane with the PS Audio suite was also positive. Changing out the Niagara with the P 20 and Tornado was an even greater step up. Going with the P 20 and Hurricane with PS Audio makes me wonder just what the AQ Dragon would do!

BTW, I’ve just installed the SACD Transport into my PS Audio suite with the P 20 and Hurricane pc. Neither the P 20 nor the SACD Transport are going back. Its just a mater of tweaking the rest of my power cords and interconnects. With the Focal Sopra 2s in this system, the difference between SACDs and Red Book is stunning. The Red Books don’t sound bad at all, its just that the SACDs are that much more. Now to get my vinyl up and running…

8 Likes

It’s a good day to have a Power Plant

3 Likes

Holy spikes, Batman!

2 Likes

Cold Snap up there in MI?

Yes but nothing severe. The weather was actually “seasonably nice” today. I don’t know what might have happened to crap up the power.

Looks like Northwest Steel & Wire fired up their arc furnace, :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Grow lights in the basement??!? :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I would think the Dragon would sound better and make you $3650 poorer over the cost of the Hurricane assuming you are using 1m. 2m Dragon cost almost as much as another P20 by adding $4400 per meter. Yikes!!! Retail on 2m Dragon power cable is $199 cheaper than a new P20! Hurricane is the sweet spot in the AQ power cable line IMO.

1 Like

First off, you guys up in the great white north are making me feel pretty good right now in Maryland. Second, paul172, I think the cost/benefit analysis does not pull the trigger for me. But if I could afford it… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Don’t get me wrong. When the powerball comes in its 100% Silver cable for me! I own a pair of AQ Thunderbird speaker cables and I have shared your same thought! I can only imagine how much better the Dragon could be!

Thanks for the comparison with the P20 vs. the Niagara 5000 which has been on my wish list. Now I must rethink and consider the PSA regenerators again.

1 Like

I’m DIY’ing two 20mp circuits myself at the moment. The house we moved into had a 220V/30Amp circuit single circuit wired directly into to Breaker panel. Nothing else was hanging off of it. I removed it and installed a 20A single pole Breaker and re wired it (moved the white neutral wire to the neutral/GND Buss Bar) for 110VAC operation and retained the 10 AWG wiring. This will be my Audio Rig’s Circuit terminated with a PS Audio Classic Outlet. I added a second 20A single pole breaker and wired it with 12 AWG wire and terminated with a Hospital Grade Outlet (it’s a 20A plug but I’ll be hanging 15 Amp PDU’s off of it). This will be my HTPC/Music Server and Plasma TV (60” LG - last of it’s kind) Circuit. 50ft. Runs - both of them.

A PS Audio Regenerator would be nice but even the Stellar version is out of my budget and will be for the foreseeable future. The house we moved into was built in 1966 (your typical North Central Phoenix Ranch Home) and one of the 15A DPDT Breakers lights up and applies power to more outlets than I think is barely legal (the home passed inspection including GNDing all outlets - many were replaced). I stupidly added my Rig to this already bogged down circuit.

We watched a Movie this weekend and when the Bass kicked in, the ICE Power 1000W Class D’s were causing quite the freaky light show (not LOL).

My Wife said “fix it” !

3 Likes

I would pull the meter and tighten every connection in the distribution panel. Route dedicated 10 AWG romex as many lines as access allows. Crazy ice amps are causing issues. The 30 amp single pole are not legal unless you have 30 Amp outlet. If you run them every thing on the circuit needs a fuse sized to its draw to be even somewhat safe

2 Likes

I removed the 30A DPDT Breaker and installed a 20A but retained the 10 AWG wiring. You are correct though. Installing 30A 110VAC terminated with a regular 20A AC Outlet would have been a stupid idea and dangerous.

1 Like

Its still blinking lights on a 20A? I would move the wires and breaker closer to meter inlet wires. Plus tighten snd clean every connection. Especially inlet wires.

They must have all kicked on at the same time :thinking: :grin:

2 Likes

It’s a cataclysmic event better known as ICE age. Hopefully the onset of which doesn’t launch at prolonged frigid spell.

1 Like

Still crappy today. Not sure what’s going on.

My often mentioned friend lives near a cement plant. When they get everything cranked up there’s all kind of junk getting pushed onto the lines in that area. They’ve had Duke Electric working on cleaning that up for almost 5 years.