The British Are Here!

Update :

As brilliant as Laurie Fincham’s design’s are, the Uni-Q drivers are the weakpoint WRT reliability after 30 years ! I’ve managed to burn all the Uni-Q Tweeters (watched one actually smoke…LOL) in all four 105/3’s and 3 of the 4 Uni-Q midrange sections are either NFG or on their way to becoming NFG.

I’ve eliminated the whole Concentric point source of the original 105/3’s and am using the black pair of 105/3’s as donor components for red pair. I also was given a pair of Fabric Dome Morel Tweeters that are drop in replacements (sans faceplate) for the Tweeters in the 104/2’s. Since I replaced the Ferrofluid, the Morels were collecting dust…until yesterday.

Using an Orchard Audio BOSC Amplifier module rated at 300W@4Ω to power the dual Midbass Drivers, the Morel Tweeter, and a donor Midbass now connected to the 105/7’s Bandpass filter to act as a midrange. The Coupled Cavity 8" Woofers are power by a ICE Power 1000W@4Ω Amplifier from Parts Express (on sale $249USD each).

Literally sticking the Tweeter (with industrial strength 3M two sided tape) in between the midbass and midrange drivers and placing them as mirrored pairs helps keep the audible illusion (ya…I’ve heard of the Company) that a Uni-Q is still being utilized.

Not having an enclosure on the Tweeter didn’t detrimentally effect things sonically. It blends well with the Mibass/Midrange Drivers.

All this fed from a BAT VK-50SE “Supertube” Preamp.

MiniDSP for the KEF KUBE Curve, Orchard Audio BOSC Amplifier (buried), and the two Crossover boards make for a tight fit but safe in that hardly any heat is generated

Antek 57VDC, 14Amp Power Supply for the Orchard Audio Amplifier.

The relocated Morel Tweeter and the donor Woofer now used as a Midrange

They sound better than before and with the fuzzy midrange on one of the old Uni-Q’s gone, all is well in both Channels.

1 Like