The Grateful Dead, Best Version of Franklin's Tower

A mildy confusing thought hit me recently, “Best of the Grateful Dead” I thought there must be be 100’s even thousands of albums circulating around. I would not want to be the one in the unenviable position who declares the Best of the Dead (for example the top 100).
I was listening to Franklin’s Tower; and thought for a test, I will ask the forum members to nominate their favorite version of Franklin’s Tower with the name of the album (yeah this is a self serving challenge on my behalf :smile:).

Wouldn’t this be better as a separate thread? I would contribute my 1.5 cents worth there.

2 Likes

You are on… I will request @Elk to set up a thread for that very purpose. Maybe, decorate with a photo of a large Indian rug.

1 Like

Hi Chas, are you looking for favorite versions of the Grateful Dead tune, “Franklin’s Tower”?

If so, the thread title should be modified to make that clear.

And if so, I vote for the 17-minute live version from June 9, 1977 at Winterland on CD8 of the 9-CD box set, Winterland June 1977: The Complete Recordings.

1 Like

Thanks Dan, its playing now (on repeat).
Chas
Edit, Qobuz offers 172 albums by the Dead, but I could not find Winterland June 1977, a great bummer.

1 Like

Here is the 6/9/77 show for free legal streaming on Archive dot org.

Many people consider it an all-time top-five Dead show.

Found it, thank you. It is a great version.

1 Like

I really do like the studio version on Blues for Allah. The period up to Blues for Allah and that album are my favorite years of the Dead. Earlier post-retirement :wink: live versions are okay but I don’t really have a clear favorite.

1 Like

Another great “Help>Slip>Frank” (Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin’s Tower) appears on One from the Vault, which contains the August 13, 1975 concert at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco.

3 Likes

Well, I’ll take the easy way out, with Franklin’s Tower from Blues for Allah. A lot of memories associated with that particular version, and what a fine album cover. Worth repeating:

1 Like

If you look real hard, you can download the entire collection for free from the internet. Only listened to one song and it sounds great,
Cheers,

1 Like

Great album art, either rendition.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the best Franklin’s Tower is the one you happen to be listening to :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes