The importance of power cables

I’ve changed power cables in my system four times over the last 36 years. Each time was an improvement in the sound, albeit subtle. I’ve read, particularly in other forums, posts where our fellow hobbyists seemingly have dramatic results. I’ve found over my years in this hobby that’s just not the case. Power cables, interconnects, speaker wire… they’re all subtle when compared to changing speakers, amps, pre-amps, sources (CD players/turntables etc). All of this said, power cables make a difference, especially over whatever the equipment manufacturer provides in the box (stock cable), but even 5-figure power cables aren’t going to trump the dramatics of say, buying better speakers. This is my honest assessment, and I’m not looking to start a cable war here. I thoroughly enjoy listening to different cables, and in this hobby, when I use the word “subtle”, even subtle equates to enjoyable. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Ultimately, power cable comes down to three things: wire gauge, shielding, and connection grip/area at the connection points (outlet and IEC). Get these right, and you will be 90% there in terms of power-cable SQ. I spent about $300 per cable to build my power cables (I needed eight cables; so, buying commercial was impossible from a cost perspective).

Spend more $$ and you get into copper purity, cable geometry, and cable termination material. Only you can decide if the cost/benefit of the added expense makes sense.

4 Likes

jazzophile…perhaps with you in your case…the 1st upgrade brought the 1st noticeable
improvement and from there just subtleties…

My experience is quite the opposite…differences have not been subtle at all…
and as in all things ymmv (your mileage may vary).

Apparent differences what ever they may be are very system and room environment dependent.

Now if I were to move uptown on my cables differences from there may or may not
be so subtle…

Best wishes
Happy listening

1 Like

I can’t tell you why really. Like all cables but most importantly the cable into your power supply, the first power cable. Will make the most difference in your system over anything. It might not even be an expensive one. It is system dependent. Trust me. Just try it. You will hear it.

1 Like

You all have confused me. To and From.
When you mean FROM the amp as Ted Smith indicates, the only cable FROM the amp, meaning exiting the Amp is the speaker cable.
There is only one Power cable…thats the one that goes From the wall or Power Plant and goes TO the amp
Please clarify…So, which cable is it? Plain English please

That’s the power cable I’ve asked about.

Think about the power cable as building foundational blocks of sturdy power under your system.
You have one excellent power cable, it should go from the wall to your amp. An amp typically needs it most because of the amp’s dynamic nature.
However, if you have a PS Audio Power Plant, that one excellent cable should go from the wall to the Power Plant. The Power Plant is essentially an amplifier. That excellent power cable, plugged into the Power Plant will now benefit everything that’s plugged into the Power Plant.
Then, if you get another excellent power cable, plug that one from the Power Plant to the amp.
Does this help you visualize?

1 Like

Not to be contrary… Read Ted Smith’s response to Ronen… Ted corrects Ronen…Ted says “No, its the first meter FROM the amp” as opposed to Ronen’ asking if its TO the amp.
Not trying to cause issue… the only cable coming FROM the amp is a speaker cable… semantics

1 Like

It’s not that simple: It’s noise from the amp to the AC power in the systems and it’s noise from the power to the amp. I just thought writing “from/to” everywhere would be even more confusing.

3 Likes

AHHHHH… now I get it, you are also saying the Amp could contaminate the AC power in the house…

I thought it was absurd to think that an expensive power cable between the wall outlet and my P20 would make an audible difference. I was wrong, plain and simple. But for anyone who WANTS to believe otherwise I say amen brother, save your money for other things. But I spent a ton ($2K+) and I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

3 Likes

I spend $3,000 on a WW Platinum Electra for my P12 and it made a Phenomenal difference in sound to my system. I spend a little more than you and I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

4 Likes

It seems counterintuitive that you would have a significant improvement with a cable ahead of a power regenerator that makes your power “right” but there you are. Count me guilty but happy with a $2k+ cord feeding a P20.

2 Likes

Plain and simple. The better cables you use of any type the better your system is generally. You can hear the difference from one company’s $600 cable and $6000.00 cable easily.

2 Likes

I’d like to share my experience here.

On a whim, I decided to swap out my Anticable Level 3 power cords with a variety of Pangea 9SE MKII and 14XLs. Price wise, this was a step down.

I swapped all my DAC, Preamp, BHK300 power cords except the PP20 and feel like I attained a more balanced sound. The treble was slightly brighter, but not etched. The mids receded slightly, but in a good way that pulled the voice back to a nice place.

I was waiting for a week for the final cord that would go from wall to the 20A socket and was really enjoying the new sound.

Come today, the final cord arrived and I swapped it in between the wall and PP20.

I spent about 30 minutes listening to my usual material, but I couldn’t stand it. The highs sounded bright and etched, the vocals were shrill and lost body. The bass sounded congested, it had lost its smoothness and was palpating. The sound stage collapsed. And my ears are still aching despite listening at my usual level.

So back in goes the AC Level 3 cable between wall and PP20 and things are balanced again.

I didn’t expect such a HUGE difference that my ears would be hurting, but it happened. I hadn’t heard such a remarkable difference before. I thought moving from stock cables to Anticables was a good step up, but it’s been so long that I’m used to the ACs. Going to something different really opened my ears.

I like the sound the mix of brands provide at this point, but I’m going to swap out the Pangeas at various components with the Anticables to see which combination I prefer.

2 Likes

Thank for that report! I personally like Anticables. Pangea I have chosen to avoid. Not saying anything at all about the quality of Pangea, just saying I have chosen to avoid them.

Maybe I’m wrong. BUT …
Changed my old Transparent cable ( Their basic power cable model ) to the AudioQuest Thunder power cable.
It seems that the AudioQuest is more detailed but less Dynamics …
Can’t decide …

2 Likes

I use mostly Synergistic Research power cables. I put the better ones on the power conditioner, DAC, and the active ground block, they make very noticeable improvements. Also, power cables need burn-in too, so don’t too quick to make judgement.

1 Like

Thanks
Burn in in my opinion, is the time that your ears will be used to to the new sound. But that’s another question…

That’s a great way to look at it.

1 Like