The pop tune you most admire?

I’ve always admired ABBA’s brand of pop from when I lived in Cleveland OH (home of rock and roll). Their poison control hot line … well you pressed “4” if you or your child ingested something nasty… then held the phone up to the victim… Dancing Queen played, and up came everything… all better.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

4 Likes

Great link, thanx!

Now that is a reason to admire a tune… odd time… how a writer can use goofy time and have a pop hit is very very impressive to me. Especially when our western brains have been programmed from birth to tap to 4/4.

I Say a Little Prayer… the Dione Warwick original is the only one to hear… from WikiPedia…

“I Say a Little Prayer” b/w “(Theme from) Valley of the Dolls”, became one of the most successful double-sided hits of the Rock era. Like several Bacharach compositions, both sides contain passages written in unusual time signatures. The verses of “Prayer” are constructed of two successive measures of 4/4, a measure of 10/4 (using 4/4 + 2/4 + 4/4), and two final measures of 4/4. The chorus is in 11/4 (using 4/4 + 3/4 + 4/4), played by session drummer Gary Chester."

Only through genius can such goofy time be a major hit in a 4/4 world… that is one to admire.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Go ahead… just try and count it…

1 Like

Genesis “Turn it on again” is not a conventional timed piece, and also catchy as a very catchy thing (maybe just to me!) :slight_smile:

There are many such examples. Jesus Christ Superstar is rife with non 4/4 time signatures. There are many pop tunes written in three. Lots of musicals have fun timing, such as Bernstein’s America. Etc.

1 Like

Odd times - Radiohead played “The Pyramid Song” on Top of the Pops (U.K. tea time institution until fairly recently), the “audience” looked somewhat confused and didn’t even try and dance. I am not sure it really counts as a pop song though…

As I recall, Tull’s “Stand Up” had quite a few songs in 6/8. It’s one of the things I’ve always loved about it.

Prog rock has all sorts of meter changes; it was one of the characteristics of the genre.

Oh I just remembered - Ebeneezer Goode is, without doubt, one of the finest (and very British?) pop songs, best played loud. Excellent stuff :slight_smile:
Was at the crest of a “moral panic” in the tabloids (yet another one) too which is usually interesting to watch…

Soda Pop by John Fogerty or Video Killed The Radio Star by the Buggles.

1 Like
  1. Tempted - The Squeeze
  2. Teenage Kicks - The Undertones
  3. Dancing Queen - ABBA
  4. Evil Woman - ELO
  5. I feel love - Donna Summer

Just my 2 cents

2 Likes

Good choice. Great song.

2 Likes