The pop tune you most admire?

OK, please read this before you type: This NOT about your favorite pop tune.

What pop tune do you admire the most? For its craftsmanship… for its use of modulation… for its clever lyric… for its political power… for its influence on what came after … whatever.

Again this is not about what music, artist, or tune is your favorite or the most ripping lead guitar.

For me? The most perfect specimen of a tune is… wait for it… Don’t Worry Baby by Brian Wilson.

Yes, it is perfect.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

3 Likes

Initial thought - good vibrations, for it’s craftsmanship.
I will prob think of a song or two I admire more during the course of the evenings so if I post again later with another “most admired” I apologise in advance :wink:

1 Like

Four pop tunes that I think are amazing and that I admire for the production and musicality: ELO’s “Confusion”, Bee Gees “Baby As You Turn Away”, ABBA “Dancing Queen” and “My Love, My Life”. But I have so many more that I could cite.

1 Like

Dancing Queen is indeed pop perfection :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One amusement is listening for the room changes in different sections of the song.

While the song works, it is a Frankenstein.

1 Like

Sade “Diamond Life.” It was pop that I actually wanted to hear at a time when pop meant I stayed away from radio. It ushered in a jazzy R&B that led to more enjoyable pop for me at the time. And it’s a darned good groove of a tune.

4 Likes

Absolutely, and some of the edits are a bit odd too :slight_smile:
It’s kinda like a techniques demonstration tape!

Yep, listened to it just the other day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Squeeze - Up the Junction:
perfect story telling pop song with a great turn of phrase!

4 Likes

Oh, and Heatwave: Boogie Nights, never gets old :slight_smile:

“I Dig Rock and Roll Music” (written by Paul Stookey, James Mason and Dave Dixon), performed by Peter, Paul & Mary

2 Likes

Hit Me with Your Rhythm Stick - Ian Dury.

3 Likes

The album I admire the most is probably Sting”s Live album „Bring on the night“. Ok I’m a jazz nut and Branford Marsalis, Omar Hakim and other greats do their thing to it, but anyway…

I admire it for Sting’s general crossover with Jazz (like Steely Dan, Tom Waits or John Martyn do it differently) and the way those great free soli and rhythm patterns are perfectly integrated.

Another competitor would possibly be the perfection of Supertramp’s prog rock with John Helliwell’s soli so perfectly integrated that they can’t be played completely free and spontaneously on the records like Breakfast in America. Or the Alan Parson’s and Toto albums and their concept perfection.

Dylan is not Pop right? So I left him out. So possibly those are just the first that came into my mind, but they definitely have a firm place in my list.

1 Like

Ha, Sting and Supertramp. Neither allowed in my collection! :wink: I just get the willies from them for some reason.

1 Like

Yeah, prog rock perfection usually doesn’t fit too well to jazz nuts, but that’s a strong part of my history anyway :wink:

Sting on the other hand usually is no black sheep for jazz folks, so you seem to get a very individual willy there :wink: what’s your favorite?

1 Like

Sting came in for some stick, but I have to agree with @jazznut his switch to working with those very cool players (prob a repeat of the police? Andy S and Stewart C were both very good and well known within muso circles) was very listenable - Omar Hakim is always cool!
And on-thread there were some crackin’ “pop” songs came out of it too:)

Andy Summers made some fantastic fusion records! …we just can’t file them under Pop :wink:

1 Like

What’s my favorite what? I don’t have a favorite Sting song, I really despise him I’m afraid. He really gives me the creeps. I answered the thread question above.

I meant your favorite pop piece…but I saw I missed your input above…Sade is also fine for me…I like her album Stronger than pride the most.

1 Like

Well, admire isn’t quite the word but “Pop Goes the Weasel” as played by the passing ice cream truck is a tune I can’t get out of my head for hours. I don’t know why that tune is so pernicious, perhaps it is a function of repetition as well as simplicity.

1 Like