The Sprout100, Paul McGowan, and the first step

Alright Mr. McGowan I’m on to you… Just get them to “Get a taste”…(sinister laughter…)

Quick background here: I am in my early 50’s. Been a window shopping audiophile for decades. I started in HS, saving every penny, and bought a Harmon Kardon receiver, Onkyo turntable, and the awesome Polk Audio Model 10 monitors (remember those? Fantastic speakers). Fast forward a few decades and I had resorted to mundane “consumer” stereo products (Sony, Denon, etc…). Music became a “background event”.
Then recently found Paul’s videos on youtube. I got hooked again.
Now, I’m not traditionally a critical listener (anymore) and I can’t afford the big stuff. But I really missed that souring, clear sound I had all those years ago. So did some research and got me a pair of Martin Logan Motion 35XT speakers and a Sprout100. Not high end I know, but leaps above what I’ve had.
Plugged it all in and put on Heart’s “Dog and Butterfly”. My God. I literally had tears in my eyes. The clarity, the soundstage, everything. It was so drastically different from the box store stuff and I was finally experiencing MUSIC again! Revelation.

But now I’m thinking “maybe I AM more of a critical listener than I thought”. I LOVE the sound this system produces…….but what would it be with a Stellar system? BHK? Hmmmmm….

Yeah, I’m on to you Paul. And I thank you Sir. Thank you.

~Gregg

4 Likes

I am with you on this journey Gregg. Every day…every day! the Sprout100 reveals new things I don’t remember hearing in the music before I added it to my system Driving a 20 year old pair of Paradigm Studio 20 Monitors. I just upgrade my Onkyo 7030 CD player to a Cambridge Audio CXC and yet another amazing layer has been pulled back. Nuances in vocals and clarity of orchestras revealed so much more strongly. I work from home and there are now so many moments were I just stop…and listen.

Thank you McGowan’s for this amazing little device. And welcome to this wonderful little club, Gregg.

-Gil

Thanks Gil. I’m on my 3rd day with it (not even broken in yet!) and I’m still amazed at the clear, crisp, neutral sound this thing produces. I wouldn’t have thought a $600 piece of equipment could be this way. Very happy.

~G

1 Like