THE TEN BEST CD OR MUSIC DOWNLOADS with the best quality

@Cerobo: Stuff in my rotation comes and goes too, but Waltz for Debbie keeps coming back to the lineup!

@cerobo I am happy this is still here and of interest to some at all. It has given me a few choices of music to buy.

My point is just pure quality to show case my own systems. It is extremely time consuming and money waisting to find quality music of Any genre.

Thanks

Al

These albums/downloads are my best sounding at the moment.

engineer prof.Johnson’s recordings from Reference Recordings is the go to recordings for most of my audiophile friends and me too.

http://www.referencerecordings.com/default.asp

These 3 are all from the small ‘‘boutique’’ label from Amsterdam Sound Liaison;http://www.soundliaison.com/

They have a some free downloads as well as an intriguing file format comparison download;-free-tracks-

The recordings from this little label compare favorable to the above and belove mentioned ‘‘giants’’, and are perhaps the best sounding downloads to be had at the moment.

Brederode

ECM is still making some of the best sounding albums available. http://www.ecmrecords.com/Catalogue/ECM/2300/2337.php?lvredir=3093&catid=0&doctype=Catalogue&rubchooser=7051&mainrubchooser=7

Not the very best possible sound, but the best this fantastic music has ever sounded before, and a real treasure trove.

I hear tell that “Satchmo Plays King Oliver” is going to be re-released in vinyl. Cannot wait for that one!

Don’t feel I need another copy of that one. . . it’s not one of my top fave Satchmos.

And if I may update my list, I forgot to include a 2L Nordic recording, this one is highly recommended.

2L

http://www.hdtracks.com/bjorn-bolstad-skjelbred-waves-interruptions-191683

The latest album from the Sound Liaison label is magnificent, very impressive audio quality.

This label does have some nice recordings.

I have not heard this one, but it is fun to learn it sounds good. Both the DSD and PCM ADCs used are relatively modest. A great example of how it is the engineer and setup that really matters, not the equipment or format.

Yes, minimalist setup with spectacular results.

I really like how they, against or maybe because of the conditions can produce this kind of quality.

Good liner notes describing the recording process;

http://www.soundliaison.com/

The room was filled to the brim with audio enthusiasts, the closest listener being just a few feet from the musicians and the microphones. When the audience is so close to the musicians, a synergy occurs. The audience becomes part of the music making and help spur the musicians on to great heights. The musicians feeling the empathy from the audience dare to take chances that one rarely hears in a studio recording. Tony and Bert had not performed together as a duo before, and no rehearsal had taken place prior to the Rhapsody concert, but the music these two masters of improvisation created that sunny afternoon in Rhapsody, is simply breathtaking.

The recording conditions were not ideal. The doors in the back of the room were opened several times by people trying to squeeze in, making the sound from the espresso machine in the hall and the DJ playing ambient music in the garden faintly audible at the beginning of each set. Later halfway through the concert the windows of the room had to be opened for air. The DJ turned off his music but he was immediately replaced by the sound of birds singing.
If listening closely one can hear them, chime in, in the quiet parts.

These outside factors contributed to the unique atmosphere of this recording and that is yet another reason why; Impromptu (a musical composition prompted by the spirit of the moment) is such an apt title.

Microphones:

Piano: Neumann TLM 170 (2x) Bass: JZ V67 Room mic's: Sonodore RCM-402 (2x)

Recorders:
PCM: RME UFX
DSD: TASCAM DA-3000

Micpre's: Neve 4081 quad pre-amp

Microphone cables: Grimm Audio TPR Mixing headphones: Sennheiser HD800 Mixing speakers: Grimm Audio LS1, TAD CR1 Master clock: Grimm Audio CC1

Perhaps not eligible for “10 best” but certainly an interesting project and enjoyable listening, especially if you are a Ray fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf0Qqr85CgE

Let’s reserve this thread for best sounding; truly exceptional technical quality.

We have plenty of “I like this recording and it sounds OK” threads.

OK Elk !! I got one for you! The group is called (ORBITAL.) The CD is called (IN SIDES.) This group covers 7 different Genres on just this 1 disc! Electronica,Trip Hop, House Music , Acid House ,Break beat, Trance Music ,and Intelligent Dance Music !

The sound Quality is off the chart! Probably, because when they recorded this in the 90 's . They were using some good old fashioned Analog Keyboard's! They loved to reverse a lot of what they recorded! And that's not all, some of the best insync delays, and reverb, I have ever heard! Lots of samples also scattered about! I find myself trying to figure out how they made a particular sound! Or for that matter, what is it ??? Anyway I have all their stuff, but this is the one that still, Churn's the blood! And raises the hairs on the back of my neck! Orbitalinsides.jpgLol!

Looks to be a hoot. And I have soft spot for real analog synths, having worked with some a long time ago.

1. Gregory Porter–Liquid Spirit 24/96 WAV

2. The Beatles–The White Album 24/44.1 FLAC

3. Donald Fagan–The Nightfly 24/48 FLAC

4. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers–MOJO 24/48 FLAC

5. George Harrison–All Things Must Pass 24/96 FLAC

6. Pink Floyd–The Endless River 24/96 WAV

7. Paul Simon–So Beautiful or So What 24/96 WAV

8. Joe Walsh–Analog Man 24/96 FLAC

9. Alison Krauss and Union Station–Paper Airplane 16/44.1 WAV

10. Chicago–Chicago Transit Authority 16/44.1 ALAC

These are the digital downloads that I return to, time and again.

Because of the sound? Remember, this is the best sound thread, not the I like this music thread.

Fair enough, Elk. The answer, in brief, is sound. Rather than write a review of ten (10) individual downloads, I’ll take the time to detail a system profile, now that I have had a few years to begin putting one together. Then, I might return and address the individual albums.

Very cool! This is quite a list.

Thank you, Elk. Having completed the equipment profile, I’ll start with the Gregory Porter:

1. He is a fine baritone jazz vocalist. You can hear the warm air in his chest (i.e. great midrange). Low register piano and bass are perfectly distinct and detailed. The horns are crystal clear. The percussion is never smeared on this high-resolution download. It’s also a great album.

2. The White Album has always sounded lousy, in every format I’ve had, until now. You can hear Lennon’s bass kick in on Back in the U.S.S.R. Listen to him inhale as he begins the vocal on Dear Prudence! Happiness is a Warm Gun is not grossly distorted, and the birds sound like birds, not screeches, on Blackbird. There is more, but that is enough.

3. Donald Fagan’s Nightfly has always sounded good. I remember my college roommate spinning the heck out of it on an early eighties Harman-Kardon turntable, through an HK receiver, to AR speakers. This download sounds better. The background vocals on Ruby Baby and Maxine are warm–late 70’s, early 80’s FM-ish. To me, the vocal warmth, depth, and detail make this recording better than what I’ve heard before.

4. Soundstage might be the word I’d use for Petty’s MOJO, from First Flash of Freedom, Running Man’s Bible, Pirate’s Cove, Candy, etc. I can hear the studio: where the instruments are and how they are interacting with the room. Anyway, the sound, particularly the top end, is warm, not bright. This sounds like a 70’s open-reel recording to my ears.

5. All Things Must Pass has always been a densely packed mess to my ears. Now I hear the distinct instrumentation open up, not a wall-of-sound, but many instruments, individuated and supporting, not overwhelming, the vocals. For example, on All Things Must Pass, the horns no longer overwhelm the other players, and Beware of Darkness has beautiful guitar interplay between Clapton and Harrison.

6. Pink Floyd’s latest and last–in high-resolution–is the best quality recording of Richard Wright’s keyboard work available. Majestic. Period.

7. Paul Simon’s Dazzling Blue makes the download of So Beautiful or So What a favorite. I enjoy the detailed guitar work, hearing the fingers on the strings. The deep bass is musical, to me, not boomy. It, too, is a recording where I hear the room, its height and depth.

8. Who’d have thought that Joe Walsh would age gracefully? I just enjoy listening to a good recording of Joe wailing away. Why is it good? I turn it up and don’t feel like I’m having a spike driven through my brain.

9. The latest from Alison Krauss and Union Station is another gem. I like all of this outfit’s output, and hearing the band work together is an integral part to enjoying their music. From Tyminski’s guitar work, to the acoustic bass, to Jerry Douglas’ perfect playing, all work together supporting Krauss’ vocals, which never fatigue the listener here. Much bluegrass thrives in the high register, but making it inviting for long listening is quite a feat. AKUS is successful here on Paper Airplane. I enjoy returning to this fine recording often.

10. The Chicago is an old Rhino download, but my Chicago analog stuff sounds hollow–like being played inside a shell–compared to this. This Chicago is live-sounding, from the opening horn arrangement: the horns are in my room, and detailed/dynamic. Does Anyone Really Know What Time It Is? Terry Kath has a full, live sounding vocal here.

Great write up James!