Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH

Tidal HiFI also gives music videos from AppleTV or within Tidal mac App. I am going to see where Quality is better a fiber SPDIF toslink from TV to BabyFace FS or using AppleTV remote as navigation … The apple TV navigation is likely better than iMac ipad control of desktop. At least voice commands vs typing.

My version is Audiophile version.

I plan to use these two configurations.

Except Macmini USB to Matrix AQ Dragon HDMI to MK2 i2S1. I found silencing I2s2 and USB in MK2with shorting plugs provides best sound. At least until PSA releases firmware that allows Shutoff of their circuits. Ted says it will be a few months.

2 Likes

I was using this one

In my next future I would really like to find out how using my MacMini COMPLETELY without a monitor, from an iPad. It means from the installation to daily weak up after a computer reboot. All things that some softwares promise but never guarantee in reality flawlessly.

I would like to save room on the rack (the second minor rack dedicated to little boxes!) but after a few experiments I’m convincing myself to search for the smaller mini-monitor on the market, maybe it’s easier and angry-free!

2 Likes

This is all new to us…we came across Edgar and BACCH a few weeks ago, and have decided to go in that direction.

So every step of the way right now going in this direction is somewhat new to us.

We are learning as we go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

1 Like

None of the computers will be in rack. My speakers have iso acoustic gaia titans. I can hide all the streaming computers and peripherals under its base only see their flashing status lights. only Dragon HDMI to MK2 enters rack.

1 Like

So, does your preferred/planned set up require the use of two iMac/computers?

Just trying to get a better handle on the hardware and signal paths…

TIA.

Correct about software apps. Thats why i would like to use ios apple apps but they can be as guilty as 3rd party developers in abandoning past iPad apps or not updating for iOS upgrades.

3 Likes

Just one for bacch4mac processing. You can also have Roon on the same imac. But i feel laving my Roon on SGC sonictransporter is likely more stable since less updates and unix based .

2 Likes

I posted two configurations only to show line connections. The bacch4mac webpage lets you use pull downs you can change to see possibilities.
I

1 Like

This all started when we plugged in our MacBook directly to the new PS Audio MkII DAC via USB… huge improvement over the MkI.

Then we spoke with Edgar and he explained how to save money and get better sound… use BACCH4Mac and go directly to the DAC and use Roon as the streamer… easy peasy, cost effective, and better sound quality.

Everything is free to try so we took the leap of faith… all I can say is I’am glad we did.

We’ve listened to more music in the last week than ever in our life. Even the Mrs. will say just one more song at midnight. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I bought DC conversion for M1 mini. See if it also is better than the inboard SMPS.

I will power it with HDPLEX300 12v high current rail that limits at 13 amps that used to power the DSMK1 and a Ghent Gotham DC cable. Digital streaming is all about eliminating noise every step.

2 Likes

There is one huge benefit to using BACCH in our set up.

My office desk chair is directly behind the sweet spot. With BACCH the prime magic zone is elongated front to rear. So while doing my paperwork I am still in the zone. This is huge, never before could I critically listen to music at my desk.

So both my wife and I can be in the sweet spot at the same time… pretty cool.

2 Likes

I can do a spot forward in front bean bag chair. My speakers are line arrays so same sound not tweeter height limits or mids or woofers being stacks of drivers.

I am also going to align Bacch4Mac Bins with RoomPerfect Listening positions so users any where in Room can have acoustics steered to their seats 3d and and RoomPerfect. The cool thing about Bacch you can keep existing DSP that already is optimized. Both solutions only takeaway so no phase errors in the solutions.

2 Likes

Yes definitely, my dream system includes a Bacch and an MU1, possibly with an Ethos CD/DAC. However, after reviewing the flowchart, I must quip that amazingly, a $30k-40k Bacch can make ultimate SQ from a signal coming using a $20 or $60 router switch. chuckle, chuckle

Al tells me to stay with my current config which I will do… for now. Hmmm maybe next year the road will come to my home. :smile:

3 Likes

I can’t wait for the Box version. Ethernet and usb in and usb out. Use and iPad or any web to control the box. You know at some point it will be there.

1 Like

Nice, great idea!

The way I look at it its taken 9 years. I doubt they will further dilute it down lower below the Mac application unless it is just headphone app.

1 Like

Everything is that way. Look at line doublers/quadruplers from Faroudja?

20k and 10k … then others started to do it like DBDO. Next thing you know a few years later they are chip on $1k players…then its just a small chip everyone expects to be in every player at cost.

That is technology. nothing wrong if you own and patten the tech. Let the chip makers package it up and present in stand alone box. The key is processing power. Not sure on the calculations etc… but trust me, if they want to get anywhere other than forum users like us, they need to do make it easy.

1 Like

I hear you trying to get 3D images with audiophile equipment is like chasing ones tail. Every introduction of something new takes more equipment and more adjustments the amount of systems i have heard do a plausible job I can count on one hand. Even then it starts with the source, and setup, expensive equipment.

Still to most people it will not matter. The market will always be small unless it is cheap but most are happy with sound coming through the outlet ports and vibrations of the screen in their handheld device. That is the fact of the matter. Sad but true.

3 Likes

That is certainly part of the issue, not many care, but nobody but high end 3 9" gun projectors could do that resolution. once it got cheap, others cared. There are many that expect these things in the AVR. Can it ever be cheap enough to fit in a 1k box? who knows. But if they want to expand, they should be looking for something like that. Start at a 3k box, early adopters take it on, then so on and so on. It takes time but technology moves on and many boxes turn to one big box to one small box to a chip or chipset

1 Like

From my recollection…there has been a myriad…of the one kind or another magic black box’s over the past decades that have made their rounds…They all seem to start out as the godsend of the audiophile community at first… only to end up on the forgotten list of over priced processors that lose their value ten fold for a lack of interest.

The BSG QOL comes to mind.I owned one… but soon enough I sold it at a big loss because I felt my system in the long run sounded better without it!

1 Like