Thorens comes home

Forty years ago, my friend Tom was helping me paint my new bachelor pad and got paint splatters on my Thorens TD160. I traded it in that year and he ended up seeing it the shop, recognised it and bought it. This week he traded it back to me for a semi automatic Technics someone gave me.
What a joy to have this home again. I think he rarely used it - it was covered in dust, no needle, but very few signs of wear. Someone had painted the platter and been in there and fiddled with the grounds and cable. I hope it was not me, but maybe. I cleaned it up, replaced the cable, corrected the grounds and added a cartridge. New belt and a new dust cover (missing, of course) on the way and I have to make a new the base plate (missing). Sounds super.

16 Likes

Nice…!!!

1 Like

At home, I only listen to music from sacd and cd on DMP, but I enjoy watching Your turntables.

2 Likes

from one Thorens guy to another, niiiiiice. :+1:

1 Like

Very cool pics! The TD-160 is still the only turntable I use. I have a Grado MCZ cartridge installed in it. Almost all my current listening is via CD or Qobuz streaming so this Thorens TT is probably the last turntable I will own. I’m glad your TD160 finally made it home!

2 Likes

Vintage gear lovingly restored checks all the boxes for me. What a beauty of a classic TT. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome.
My father just gave me his Thorens TD160 B mk2 with SME arm.
I had it restored and fitted with an Ortofon Quintet Black S.
It sounds great, at a similar level to my DMP or LUMIN U1 into DSS dac.
That really surprised me, given the much higher cost of the digital chain.