Titan Audio "Helen" that can be used wtih DMP and perhaps DSD . . . .

scotte1,

Going back to the Sonore Signature Series Rendu is where the Helen had the greatest impact on its own.

SSR into Helen via SPDIF, Helen to DS via AES/EBU.
Only up too single rate DSD64 and 192 PCM in this application.

Just to let you know what is currently producing the best sound that I have ever experienced through my system;

Comcast Gateway > via Ethernet > Sonore opticalModule > via 24m Fiber > Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQplayer & HAF filters ) > via Ethernet > Sonore opticalModule > 1m Fiber > Sonore opticalRendu > via USB > Matrix XSPDIF2 > via I2S > PS Audio DS
( powered by mass quantities of LPSs, UPSs and a PS Audio PW P3 )

Depending on the quality of the file, streaming Qobuz is now the equal of my ripped files on SSD.

Thank you.

I appreciate the detailed update on your signal path, as well.

I have an intellectual bias against USB as a digital transmission device for audio files. “Intellectual” in the sense that it is all in my head and based on the early-reported shortcomings of USB, coupled with all the messin’ and fussin’ it seems to take to optimize a signal involving USB.

Have you ever been able to get from your network to your DS via I2S sans a USB cable? Tricky business, it seems.

My head tells me this would be “more better”. But again, I don’t have any experience feeding my DS via a USB cable (at any point in my signal path).

Cheers.

[Edit/PS: Depending on the quality of the file, streaming Qobuz is now the equal of my ripped files on SSD. This is a very significant accomplishment IMO/IME. Congrats! Digital files care of an iMac and JRMC; via Wi-Fi to Router to Ethernet to Fiber to Ethernet to hot rodded switch to LAN isolator to Bridge II is my best configuration to date and still, I think, edges out Tidal and Qobuz from the same iMac (via Roon Core) as well as DMP to DS via I2S.]

scotte1,

I have the same feelings with regards to USB cables.

It is extremely difficult to get away without having at least one of them in the digital path.

Fortunately the Matrix serves as an excellent D>D converter and from what I have read ( not experienced personally ) USB receivers are getting better.

The only USB cable that I have been able to live with is the WireWorld Platinum Starlight 7.

2 Likes

Ted,
Actually the PWT does send the flag to the DAC for de-emphasis. The DMP does the de-emphasis in the Oppo portion and send the already equalized signal to the DAC. I brought up this question when i first got my DMP and did not see the flag show up on the DSD. That was when I was told the above information. I was satisfied as long as the de-emphasis is being done somewhere. I now have the question about the PST and how it handles it!