Top SACDs

I bought the Dusty SACD.

Lovely voice/talent but I did not find the recording/this SACD to be particularly special.

Anyone else experience the same general impression…?

Anyway, I still and will enjoy the music.

1 Like

I was also expecting to be more blown away with the AP Dusty. BUT, I must admit, I’m not so familiar with the album that I can, with any validity, say “wow!” or “ho-hum” like a big fan might.

1 Like

I don’t have the Springfield SACD, but I’ve been, let’s say, underwhelmed with more than a few I’ve bought in the past. Satisfaction seems at times to be a dice roll (no Rolling Stone references intended).

Aren’t many music purchases that way (I.e. a bit of a crapshoot)?

Experience has taught me not to give up on a purchase, completely, after only one or two listens. My body might like it more next time.

Maybe I have the best copy, and it just happens to exploit a weak part of my system.

Right now, I’ll say the sweetest sounding SACD, which has been mentioned before, is the MFSL Nilsson Schmilsson. It’s like an A+ of my 50+ SACDs.

2 Likes

Totally agree. Often I find I have a totally different impression after 4 or 5 listens.

Agreed.

I often have this same experience when rehearsing a new piece of music with which I am unfamiliar. Some things I like immediately; others, need to grow on me.

This is one of the better John Lee Hooker recordings I’ve heard. Sounds great in DSD! The minus is it’s only 32 minutes. I wouldn’t consider it audiophile reference quality but I enjoyed it from start to finish!

Thanks, I will buy it.

Recording quality and musicianship trumps format every time, IME.

It’s just that this particular Dusty/Memphis SACD release was kind of touted in THIS thread, and I found it to be :man_shrugging:, in terms of audiophile Wow factor — at least the first three times through.

As I noted previously, still very enjoyable stuff.

1 Like

If you like JLH you’ll enjoy the album.

Especially track 8.

Ok. You got me to buy another SACD. I hope to give it a listen this afternoon

3 Likes

When you compare it to the other masterings out there, it is stellar!

It’s kind of like Carole King’s “Tapersty”. It was not a great recording to begin with and finding a mastering that sounds really good is difficult. The best sounding “Tapestry” I have heard is the MoFi SACD.

2 Likes

As I think I’ve mentioned before, this is one of the more successful SACD remasters I’ve heard. It’s a joy to listen to, IMO.

1 Like

It does have fantastic sound!

Good to know…

I have found some of the MoFi remasters are not as good as the originals when listening on my system. Bob Dylan’s Oh Mercy is an example I can think of.

3 Likes

Well not sure of your tastes in music. But one that comes to mind is Live at the Loa - Ray Brown Trio. Another is Analog Bibb - Eric Bibb. I particularly like the Opus 1 label. I still think - regardless of provenance - Nora Jones - come away with me is great. The newer version is indeed the real dsd Those are just some.

For those who aren’t aware, Prestomusic.com has a sale on boxed sets right now, and among the deals is a 10-disc SACD set of Mahler Symphonies by the London Symphony Orchestra under Valery Gergiev on their own “LSO Live” label, for $29 US. Less than $3.00 a disc for SACD! I don’t know Maestro Gergiev, but I have several of the LSO’s recordings on their label and they sound pretty good to my ears. I have a number of the symphonies on individual recordings by artists from Tilson Thomas to Horenstein, but I don’t have them all, and those I have aren’t all on SACD. Seems like a decent risk to me, even with shipping from the UK.

Edit: link to the set: Mahler: Symphonies 1-9 - LSO Live: LSO0730 - 10 SACDs or download | Presto Music

5 Likes