Top SACDs

Just got this today and really like it. Exceptional detail and clarity.

10 Likes

I share a similar experience. The DMP coupled with the DS Sr. and an I2S cable clearly outshines my old SACD experience with a Denon DVD 2900 “Universal Player”. Although musicality and recording quality still trump formats as far as I am concerned.

1 Like

I will soon know, as my current SACD player is an older Sony. My impression was it was fine but nothing special.

1 Like

So, did you decide on a new SACD spinner?

Cheers.

I purchased a PST yesterday. Figured What The H377.

7 Likes

Looking forward to your impressions once it settles in.

I bought a used DMP from a fellow forum denizen some months back and have been very pleased with its performance.

Have fun.

This is going to be interesting as it will require pulling the DSD from its current spot and placing it in my tube system. The latter is analog oriented, the former an “all arounder”. Big experiment to be sure.

Well, my expectation bias is that the resolving nature of the DSD coupled with a good quality tube-based amplification system would make for a wonderful combination. The PST should nudge the whole performance up a notch or two, especially with well-mastered CDs and SACDs.

Again, have fun.

My DSD and my Decware tube system are my heaven. Looking forward to your experience.

Not going to be a Decware, stepping it up to my primary system, Genesis V driven by cj Premier 11a.

2 Likes

Still looking forward to those experiences.

Finally got a chance to settle in and listen. Yep, it’s that good!

Thanks for the recommendation!

2 Likes

Lon, I play one of 5 or so versions I have depending on my mood. I really dig the Mofi SACD too. Every version I have on disc sounds different. I almost bought KOB used at the local shop on mini disc the other day then the reality hit me… no minidisc player in the house. Hahahahaha.

1 Like

I also rotate versions of a lot of duplicate copies I have, which coincidentally are mostly Miles Davis titles, as he was the musician that first got me into music heavily and started my collecting habit. And yes, I can hear and appreciate the differences.

2 Likes

What’s your fave version of Miles’ Blackhawk stuff. I was just playing the US CD version - I think it is the SBM remastered version from 2003 and it is pretty bright. Miles is especially blatty and ear piercingly shrill. I kind of remember the same sets from the Original Mono box set sounding better but could not find mine to compare.

I remember there being Sony Japan SACD’s from 2000 or thereabouts and some 2014 or 2015 CD’s (SICP series). How are those?

There were no Blackhawk recordings within the Original Mono box set.

Honestly, I have two vinyl versions of this that I play most often as I like the sound: single volumes, one for each night, and a two LP set that has both nights.These are just the originally released selections of course, stereo versions.

I have the 2003 two cd sets, and I have the SICP releases and they don’t sound that dissimilar and to be honest even on the LPs Miles’ trumpet can sound pretty piercing. It’s how he played at the time, how he used the microphone, and in general I think that’s how the recording engineers captured him. I’ve never had or heard the SACD releases.

As I said I generally listen to the vinyl releases I have, and when I want an expanded listen I pull out the 2003 sets. I have the privilege of a good EQ device in my system, the Decware ZROCK2, which really helps me to tame some treble hash and glare and get a really full sound. . . so the 2003 hasn’t “offended” my ears in the last four years or so.

Haha getting old - my memory is failing as I thought the Blackhawk sets were in the mono box.

Add this one to your lists! Hugh Masekela Hope

1 Like

This is my 25 best sounding SACDs:

Shelby Lynne - Just a Little Lovin - AP
Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions - AP
Oliver Nelson - Blues And the Abstract Truth - AP
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters - AP
Brubeck - Time Out - AP
Jeff Buckley - Grace - ORG
Rage Against The Machine - S/T - AF
Bread - Best Of - AF
Grover Washington - Winelight - AF
Peter Paul and Mary - S/T and In The Wind - AF
Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy - AF
James Taylor - JT - MFSL
Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On - MFSL
Supertramp - Breakfast In America - MFSL
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde - MFSL
The Cars - Heartbeat City - MFSL
Frank Sinatra - Where Are You? - MFSL
Pixies - Surfer Rosa - MFSL
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds - MFSL
Doobies - Takin It To The Streets - MFSL
The Pretenders - Learning To Crawl - MFSL
Carly Simon - No Secrets - MFSL

10 Likes

Would you mind defining all of the label acronyms? I am sure I am not alone in being unfamiliar with some of them.

TIA.

And, thanks for posting this list.

Cheers.