Top SACDs

Personally, I think this one is a standout. Some prefer one of the Japanese SACDs, but for my system this one is the best KOB.

1 Like

Thank-you, good to know. Still on the fence regarding the PST. Looking at what worthy SACDs are out there for a potential audition. Seems like mostly pop, classical and jazz warhorses. However, this particular KOB is a no brainer.

Thanks for the quick response. I do like Mahler when it suits my mood, but the performance has to be spot on. Considering the price not much of a risk. Comes down to if I pull the trigger on a PST.

1 Like

Well, I have closing in on 300 hours on a PST right now and can say it bests the DMP. It’s been a difficult audition time for me because my listening is headphone only for this time period, though I did have a week or so of listening to the DMP beforehand on the same phones and the PST went through about three sonic phases and is stabilizing now into a very involving and natural sounding character.

I have hundreds of SACDs between jazz and classical and a bit of more popular genres. I didn’t think that SACD was that big a deal until I got a DMP. Other SACD players showed that they were nice, but the DMP with the DSD showed me that they were a wonderful format. The PST just edges them forward a bit more–and brings out subtle details in the presentation of Redbook that I am surprised to find.

In jazz “Mingus Ah Um,” “The Bridge,” “Blues in Orbit” and “Masterpieces (by Ellington)” are standouts imo, as well as nearly every one of the Mobile Fidelity Miles Davis titles.

3 Likes

Countless opinions in this Kind of Blue thread here:

Ah Um is also a no brainer. The Bridge is OOP and available for north of $125, thus not an option in my case.

The primary reason for a PST is my current CD transport is rather long in tooth. Should it bite the dust I’ll have regrets. Unfamiliar with the PWT/DMP. Not looking for a reason to buy a PST, looking for SACD options that I would enjoy. Last time I looked, about ten years ago there were only a handful I’d pursue. I do have 50 SACDs more or less. For example I’d probably would go for Channel Classics, and jazz warhorses if they are reasonably priced.

It would be interesting if PS Audio would sweeten the pot and include one DSD SACD with a PST. I know, I want it all… :wink:

Suds, as I no longer have my Reel to Reel, no regrets, the 7-1/2" KOB isn’t an option. Looks as though the most recent KOB SACD on MoFi is a safe bet.

I liked that thread just for the education about the recording equipment (3 channel), the original releases being off-pitch because of an improper speed tape recording, and the different LP and SACD recordings.

Thanks, yes I was familiar with the history and all that. The link took me to Discogs.

I think that’s because you didn’t select the link at the top, but instead the link within the link.

Yes, and I did dig into the other thread, varied opinions but for SACD the 2015 appears to be the winner by a nose. Winner, winner, chicken dinner:

1 Like

Cool. If you aren’t in possession of a lot of SACDs and in having SACD raw DSD data output there are cheaper transport options. I have an Audiolab 600CDT that I was using in my headphone only system that is extremely good for the price–even includes a digital “buffer” that I think makes it very low in jitter output. People love the Jay and the Project transports. There’s a NuPrime or two that look very good.

I definitely understand being concerned with a transport long in the tooth. I couldn’t bear to be without a transport!

I have to say that there are quite a few jazz SACDs out there and very few are less than stellar sounding. Less modern and avant exploratory jazz is on SACD, which is not ideal and probably one reason you don’t have a lot of SACDs! :wink:

Not really looking for player suggestions at this point. It is PST today or wait until I have a more urgent need. The Jays is intriguing, but I’m not sure I want a top loader. Silly but there it is. Audiolab, NuPrime, etc aren’t in the running. I have a stack of Oppo Blu-Ray/CD/SACD players I can get buy with, and a Theta Data, that fits the bill, rather old but hey it runs great.

Cool.

Résistance is futile, you will buy the PST …

2 Likes

When I think “outstanding SACD” this one comes to mind. . .I love it.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/91652/Fritz_Reiner-Spain-Hybrid_3-Channel_Stereo_SACD

The earlier (expanded) SACD from Sony/RCA is very good (I adore the additional material!) but this APO sounds spectacular, and really compliments the music.

3 Likes

Buying isn’t the issue. Keeping could be…

1 Like

The UHQCD of Kind of Blue sounds better than the Mofi SACD and the original Sony SACD, and better than any disc format I’ve heard. I also have the K2HD CD, but that has way too much tape hiss in the high end.

I should be kind of blue given the versions of this CD I own.

3 Likes

I have this one too and really like it, it sounds amazing. . . just prefer the MoFi. System synchronicity is probably going to drive many choices of “favorite.”

1 Like