Top Tip recently discovered for those using Oppo 203/ Oppomod i2s boards with their DS

DOH! :grin:

Hello forum users. New guy here. Initially joined just to get help from this forum re my Oppomod I2S upgrade to my 103D. Firstly, successfully installed the LPM and stabilizer from Oppomod to my player. Next step was the I2S mod and that’s where my mystery begins. Installed the mod from Jaehong and it played the SACD thru the installed HDMI port to the Gustard X26. However nothing else would work thru the port. A cd would come thru only the left channel only but it was grossly muddled. OPPO analog outputs where silent and the board was connected back to the stock DAC board. The next attempt at playing SACDs would only play thru the I2S left channel and other symptoms where the same. Contacted Jaehong and he sent another board. Exact same response. SACDs only play thru left channel on the I2S output, CDs are only heard and distorted thru left channel but sound fine thru OPPO’s coax output. No sound thru analogs while board is installed but sound great when board is removed. BTW, I did try multiple HDMI cables. Thanks for any help.

Follow up to prior post. Before making that last post, I unplugged and disconnected everything between the OPPO and the Gustard DAC. The next afternoon I reconnected, including the I2S card, and powered up the units. Wether the system reset itself or my connections were faulty, the OPPO and Gustard via the I2S connection and the analog outputs worked great. I must say, Jaehong Lee from Oppomod has been incredibly attentive along the way. Some idiosyncracies I did not realize though. The I2S card only comes into integration when SACD/DSD are played. Standard CDs and the other various inputs are still sent via the coax/optical outputs. All formats are also sent to the analog RCAs.

I had an I2S card go bad. I think I caused a bad connection by trying too many different cables. Jae Hong sent out new card and the problem was solved. He is great to work with! I’m using a Audioquest Vodka for now waiting on my RAL Cryo silver I2S cable to arrive. That’s a whole different thread here on the forums.

1 Like

Hey Paul,

Do you have a link to your i2s cable thread?
Always room to imrove, not looked at 12s cables for a while. :slight_smile:

Thanks Paul for chiming in. I actually just purchased a used PS audio I2S cable off of Audiogon. It’s to arrive Saturday. My next upgrade to the OPPO 103D is the clock. I plan to have Jaehong install it, though. Considered doing it myself but the cost of me making a mistake soldering is too high. What are you thoughts?

1 Like

Not sure what HDMI (I2S) cable you are referring to. If its the Audioquest Vodka? Music Direct was having a clearance sale and they are sold out of 1m not sure about 2m. If you are referring to the highly rated but controversial Revelation[My recent experience with Revelation Audio Labs](https://Revelation Audio Labs) Labs cryo silver I2S there are a couple threads on the PS forums. Most are upset of the time to deliver which sounds like 3 months is the norm. Some have got there’s sooner than others. Mine was ordered 2/5 and I’m still waiting.

Regarding the Oppo clock install. I sent my card to Jae Hong and the turn around was extremely fast. I received tracking info on delivery of the board and a notice the same day it was shipped back! I want to say it was 10-15 days from the time I shipped to the time I was reinstalling the board. Not bad since its going to South Korea! The mod is worth the investment IMO. I haven’t had the chance to compare the modified OPPO to a DMP or PST but I did A/B the modified unit to a stock 203 and it is quite an improvement. Most on the forums don’t like the night and day reference but its safe to use comparing the fully modified Oppomod to the stock Oppo 203! Good luck and enjoy!

PS Audio made an I2S cable when the released their equipment with I2S ports. I guess in recent years it was more cost effective for them to partner with Audioquest. By what manner did you ship your boards to Jaehong to work on? I am finding it quite expensive. Thanks

1 Like

I used FedEx. Yes you are correct is wasn’t cheap. But it was time sensitive and I didn’t want to take any chances losing the board. I think I paid $220 insured. :confounded:

I just recieved the oppomod i2s Card and installed it into my BDP-203, just to discover that left and right channels are swapped when playing on my DS DAC😪 I asked specifically for a card with NO swapped channels when ordering. So card must be replaced?

Oops my bad, seems I had my XLR cables swapped on the preamp :see_no_evil::grin:

1 Like

Installed the OppoMod I2S card today (Oppo BDP-103), feeding a PS DS-DAC MK-2. This substituted the previous configuration of GeerFab D.BOB (Digital Breakout Box) connected to the DAC via Coax.

Internal installation was simple, and the only issue is with cutting a hole though the Oppo’s back-wall, allowing the HDMI-socket and screws to be mounted.

Noticeable different in SQ, however, quantitative rather than qualitative. Files, CD’s, and Blu-ray’s work flawlessly.

2 Likes

Oppomod confirmed shipment of the I2S board yesterday for my 203. I’m wondering how do I setup the i2s for my Topping D90SE?

Arrived today! Installing tonight!

hello, I have Oppo UDP-203 and I’m thinking about buying the OppoMod i2s card with the Topping D90SE DAC… does it work to you without problems?

1 Like

I have one in a Oppo 203. Works great with DSD MK1. I had an issue with first I2S card contacted Oppomod and no questions asked they sent a replacement. Top notch customer service and support.

That’s kind of what I have. Works great but for some reason it swapped the channels on the RCA outs (left became right…).

Toughest part is cutting the chassis for the i2s port.

I added a chassis ground also (on the Oppo)

Thank you for your experience. And if I understand correctly, this i2s card plays only DSD SACD ?

It sends digital out CD not only SACD.

I’m out but will confirm in a couple of days when I return.

BTW the card worked with the D90SE without any changes to the pins on the i2s

Thank you.
I would like buy the udp-205, but it is not possible at a normal price.
UDP-203 modification is the best way for now.

1 Like

Only SACD on mine; lots of hiss over music when playing CDs. I assume it’s a settings issue on the i2s.

I appreciate feedback