Torreys and BridgeII Functionality

Hi Chip

Both MinimServer and BubbleUPnP server should run on the NAS, but technically you can also run them on different servers. The BubbleUPnP server however should NOT be run on the control point. As per my previous post, I think the playlist running to the end is by default solved for your Linn DAC because it is an OpenHome renderer by itself.

As for your drop outs, UPnP streaming seems tricky, but for me I didn’t have dropouts with Bridge I and its last firmware anymore with transcoding enabled up to the max resolution and for sure not anymore with Bridge II. Did you try to the Bridge without the Linn connected to the same network? Might not make sense to suspect this solves it but you can try. From my own experience I do recall having severe streaming issues with a brand new Gigabit switch and Bridge I but none of those issues with my old 100Mbit switch. Never tried this Bridge II though.

I’ve never tried It over myself but what I’ve seen (at my dad’s place) and heard about it doesn’t make me want to try. I run the Bubble control point on an Android tablet. But with having an OpenHome renderer should make you much more robust against control point issues. You can probably find someone with an Android device close to you to try. PM me if you don’t.

Good luck!

Jones

Hi Jones,

Step 1
I installed MinimServer on my NAS this evening and I can see and play files to my Linn streamer so I think the first step is operational.

Step 2
I have been reading up on BubbleUPnP server and that is scheduled for Thursday evening.

Step 3
A colleague at work has just bought a new Samsung tablet and is willing to let me borrow the old Samsung Andriod tablet it for a few days to try BubbleUPnP.
I see BubbleUPnP DNLA/Chromecast on Google Play.
I do not see a UPnP/DLNA version.
Should I use the DLNA/Chromecast version?

I have disconnected the Linn streamer while troubleshooting and it does not seem to make a difference.
I must say I have played more than 5 albums tonight and have not had any problems but it has always been intermediate.

Thanks for your assistance,
Chip

Yep, BubbleUPnP for DNLA/Chromecast is what you need.

The free version has a few limitations, the most noticeable is that the playlist is limited to 16 tracks. To keep the music going you have to remove the finished tracks and then add new tracks.

I’m very happy with BubbleUPnP running direct to the DS. I use TIDAL most of the day, and have my local music stored on a USB3 thumbdrive on my ASUS router (supports DLNA server and SAMBA server for Windows).

Do you also have a NAS in your network?

Do you also use BubbleUPnP Server on your NAS?

I’m using a Synology NAS that runs MinimServer.

I don’t use the BubbleUPnP server.

Does gapless playback work for you running directly from MinimServer to the DS through BubbleUPnP?

For a long time I have used MinimServer on my NAS, controlled by BubbleUPnP on an android tablet. Gapless works fine.

A couple of days ago I set up BubbleUPnP Server so that I could try some control points that need OpenHome functionality. Gapless seems to work OK, even though for some reason I am not able to put in the checkmark for gapless on the web page that controls the BubbleUPnP Server.

chip said Do you also have a NAS in your network?

Do you also use BubbleUPnP Server on your NAS?

The $150 ASUS RT-AC68U router is my NAS. It works flawlessly with 176/24 flac files. No other file server needed for BubbleUPnP/JRiver/Roon. As far as I can see, the only reason to use Bubble Server is if you have to play around with interfacing to other control SW, like Linn's. Personally, I find BubbleUPnP's interface to be entirely adequate.

I’m not sure I’ll actually use Roon even if it works one day, because I don’t care to have yet another black box involved, and BubbleUPnP is working so well. As it is, I use the (required anyway) router, Bridge II, and an Android tablet or my phone - no PC or other NAS offers any audible advantage.

KISS, if you want it to work…

chip said
Does gapless playback work for you running directly from MinimServer to the DS through BubbleUPnP?

Hi Chip

Yes the DS with Bridge II plays gapless even through a BubbleUPnP server OpenHome renderer.

Does it give a positive effect playing the Bubble server?

Kind regards

Jones

Gapless assuming you have a Bridge II.

Chip,

MinimServer 0.8.3 ?

The most current version is 0.8.4 , maybe there are some bug fixes in the current version that you need?

Hi Jones,

Yes, very positive. I loaded BubbleUPnP on a borrowed Samsung tablet and started playing music immediately. We listened to several hours of music Friday evening without any problems.

Now that I seem to have a working system I can start trying some of the other options in the applications - MinimServer, BubbleUPnP Server, and BubbleUPnP control point. I have some reading to do to better understand how these applications work and what I can and can not do with them. I want to learn more about each application without making too many changes all at once to see what it can do and how I want to use them.

Now through the process of elimination and substitution I believe my problem probably resides in my JRiver setup as a library and control point for my system. This is bad timing on my part since I just paid for the upgrade to from JRiver MC21 to MC22.

So far it is working as I think the system should work for he first time since I started trying this and I have people like you to thank for my recent success.

Thank you,

Chip

MrDerrick said Chip,

MinimServer 0.8.3 ?

The most current version is 0.8.4 , maybe there are some bug fixes in the current version that you need?

Upgraded to 0.8.4, thanks for the tip.

Hi Chip,

You’re welcome. Of particular interest is the transcoding ability of MinimServer (or actually MinimStreamer). You can set it to automatically transcode (e.g. flac) to wav (which gives a sonic improvement, at least when I still had my Bridge I), but also allows you to play DSD files by transcoding those to dopwav.

Enjoy the music. Kind regards,

Jones

Same here.

Never had any problem with Bridge II, Direct Stream, Minim Server (running on Mac Mini) and Bubble UPnP on android tablet. Works like a bliss. My Mac Mini is connected to DS through ethernet through a router to which my android tablet is connected over wifi.

Actually even with Bridge I, I didn’t face that big problems apart from occasional restart needed after few months and album art not getting replaced predictably (sometimes). These glitches went away with Bridge II.

Regards,

Sourav