Bridge II Update

I updated my DSD to Torreys but have not been able to update the Bridge II Firmware. It is on versions 1.2.1 and it does not come up with a button for the update. Instead it says update is not available.

What should I do?

do you have a pc? if yes, Dennis at PS Audio will be able to email you Bridge II firmware for you to update BII independently from Torreys.

I presume you have an internet connection available from the network the Bridge II is on?

I also had no immediate notification of an update being available. I futzed around, rebooted, got into the network menu and reset the connection and eventually the update became available. Sorry - I can’t recall exactly what the trick was however. I think patience plays a part also…

Search these threads for people’s experiences when upgrading their DS DACs to the latest version. There was one gent that had the same issue and he posted what worked for him.

Good luck!

Bridge II on my Jr seems took a very long time to get the s/w version displayed and then eventually indicated an update was available.

but Dennis can get you forced update that you can use with a Windows PC available that should get you happening if it’s not quite getting it done on its own.

To do the update, your bridge needs to be able to access updates.psaudio.com via FTP. Things that can cause issues are firewalls, VPN’s, routers or not having the Gateway and DNS set on your DAC.

If you have a windows system available to do the update email me at dennis@psaudio.com for a manual update.

Dennis

The end of a full weekend of streaming frustration is may be not the best moment to write a forum contribution, but I do not know how to proceed any more. My goal is to get Jriver 22 working with bridge ii from synology nas, streaming flac and dsf with ipad.

My first question: does these issues look right for a bridge?

1. the general setup page does not show a bridge fw version Only 0.0.0. I thought that i upgraded through the sd card but i cannot be sure.

2. bridge setup screen does show network settings ok and says update n/a.

3. after some random tipping in the setup screen I end up in a test date screen. After startung test it says Test 1 16960 616 616 90 81 16960 fail.

4. the usb port in the bridge does not accept a normal usb connector. It looks like the connector is too small. Should i send it back?

if the bridge is ok, i can start again with jriver. I had a lot of problems with the settings i thought should be ok. Stopping after a few seconds (all formats), after one dsf file ends, it skipped all the other files, just very very unstable. It also looks like a lot of remarks in thsi forum do not work any more for new fw versions or may be even jriver updates. Paul made a remark that this is not supported any more. Spending another 500$ on roon is not an option.

my question here: is there a new jriver installation guide working with the latest torreys/bridge ii firmware?

thx.

Hi Berlin,

JRiver does not work with Bridge II firmware 2.7.11, I had a couple of problems which went away by either using the older version 1.2.5, or using a new beta version 2.8.8. You need a PC to do Bridge II firmware manual update. I suggest you try the older version first. Dennis will be able to advice you further.

zheng4 said Hi Berlin,

JRiver does not work with Bridge II firmware 2.7.11, I had a couple of problems which went away by either using the older version 1.2.5, or using a new beta version 2.8.8. You need a PC to do Bridge II firmware manual update. I suggest you try the older version first. Dennis will be able to advice you further.

If you have a windows system and you want 1.2.5 or 2.8.8 email me at dennis@psaudio.com. If you don’t have access to a windows system you will need to wait until I release 2.8.8

Dennis

zheng4 said Hi Berlin,

Not sure what you mean, “JRiver does not work with Bridge II firmware 2.7.11.” In general, I got JRiver 22.0.21 to stream music reliably to my Bridge II equipped DS. I did encounter a couple problems with album art. Originally thought I had the album art problem resolved but it rears it’s head, on my system, after playing a playlist of songs with different sample rates. However, 2.7.11 did stream music reliably on my system over long weekend listening sessions. Note that I too am going to try going back to 1.2.5 and/or 2.8.8 (have already asked Dennis to send the files and information).

amsco15 said
zheng4 said Hi Berlin,

Not sure what you mean, “JRiver does not work with Bridge II firmware 2.7.11.” In general, I got JRiver 22.0.21 to stream music reliably to my Bridge II equipped DS. I did encounter a couple problems with album art. Originally thought I had the album art problem resolved but it rears it’s head, on my system, after playing a playlist of songs with different sample rates. However, 2.7.11 did stream music reliably on my system over long weekend listening sessions. Note that I too am going to try going back to 1.2.5 and/or 2.8.8 (have already asked Dennis to send the files and information).

It has issues in some cases and works perfectly in other cases. In my case 2.7.11works perfectly, but in other cases it does not. 2.8.8 seems to address those issues. So if you would like to try 2.8.8 email me at dennis@psaudio.com

Dennis

2.8.8 installed easily and seems to work fine. Cover art and metadata display correctly and all types of music files stream properly (JRiver 22.0.21/JRemote). I do not have Roon; therefore, don’t know if Roon works but assume so. The only disappointment, vTuner, through mconnect, still does not work as it did with version 1.2.3. Yes, I know it’s not supported. I think that’s a shame.

Thanks Dennis for sending the 2.8.8 beta!

Dennis, I assume there will be a DS Jr update along in due course…any other things fixed? Will we ever get to see track names displayed as they change on the DS Jr?

wizardofoz said Dennis, I assume there will be a DS Jr update along in due course...any other things fixed? Will we ever get to see track names displayed as they change on the DS Jr?
2.8.8 Bridge II code will be released soon. The track names should display For a few seconds when tracks change.

Dennis

On my DS, using 2.8.8, the track changes show right away and the cover art drops at about 16 seconds into a new song (assuming of course that the album changes). The cover art changes faster than with previous versions.

Good to hear another update is coming. Does 2.8.8 solve the BubbleUPnP volume control and the other DLNA issues that were identified?

Check the Bridge Firmware thread: http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/bridge-ii-update/#spEditFormAnchor

amsco15 said On my DS, using 2.8.8, the track changes show right away and the cover art drops at about 16 seconds into a new song (assuming of course that the album changes). The cover art changes faster than with previous versions.
It does solve most of the DLNA issues found so far. It does not by it self fix the BubbleUpnp Volume control issue, that will take another DS release to completely fix the issue.

Dennis

Thanks for your reply. Indeed I remember you stating that a PIC code update for the DS was required. Just a PIC code would not change the sonic characteristic, or does it?

I personally find the volume de-sync issue rather annoying, so would like to see that resolved. Has any plan been made to also update the DS PIC firmware?

jones said Thanks for your reply. Indeed I remember you stating that a PIC code update for the DS was required. Just a PIC code would not change the sonic characteristic, or does it?

I personally find the volume de-sync issue rather annoying, so would like to see that resolved. Has any plan been made to also update the DS PIC firmware?

You are correct, that PIC code changes us to revoice before release. So We won’t be updating PIC code until there is a new FPGA code, sometime in the future.

Dennis

So Dennis just to confirm the change in track display fix is also going to be applicable to the junior model?

would love to beta test on that too

wizardofoz said So Dennis just to confirm the change in track display fix is also going to be applicable to the junior model?

would love to beta test on that too

No the Jr should work with 2.8.8.

Dennis