Trouble with 24/192 resolution files from PWDAC MKII with old or new firmware with bridge

Whenever I play 24/192 files they skip and jump. I know there is no problem with the files because if I play them through my Modwright Transporter at 24/96 they sound fine. Has anyone else been able to play hi rez files through the bridge? I am using a AVA RS3 as my Media Server. It does go through a few switches before it reaches the DAC however the switches are the best that I could find. Anyone else with this problem? Ideas on how to solve it? I bought a solid state drive thinking that might solve the problem, but have not openend the server to replace it, and cant figure out another way to use it since i dont use a computer in my set up.

@heaernow1

I suspect network congestion somewhere. If you can hook pwd more directly to your router then see if it helps the skips at all.

Alternatively you could try a PLC extender [ one at the router and the other at the Bridge.] Best Buy etc lets you try them for 30 days.

G

P.S.

Sometimes rebooting your ISP MODEM helps too. I know not why, however.

I just played some 24/192 material last night and I too encountered some skipping. This was a big problem many firmware versions ago. I thought this issue had been cleared up. It looks to me like one of the latest F/M versions is once again causing this problem, or maybe it never really went away. I am hardwired with Ethernet throughout, using F/M 2.4.3, with 0.2.14b.

The trick is in the router/switch. 10/100 is the way to not overload the bridge. I have a 100/1000 router with a 100/1000 switch hooked up for internet. I added a 10/100 switch for the bridge and all skips have disappeared. And for less than $40!

I don’t think this is a universal recommendation. I have the NAS and the Bridge hooked up to the same ~$50 Netgear gigabit switch and can normally play without dropouts. When I do have them, I am currently blaming them on other things (router grrr) on the network, not the switch. I’m going to make the normal operation “closed network” sometime soon so the internet router is not normally on the (closed) network. I will only plug in the Internet into the closed network for a Bridge firmware update. I know you can get a programmable switch and do this without moving wires around but I’m not buying one of these until I have the network fully stabilized. Likely will use an HP small-medium-business-class programmable router for this.

But it is true that the Ethernet interface in the Bridge is 10/100, not gigabit. So 10/100 isn’t bad, but it doesn’t automatically make a gigabit switch the first suspect in 24/192 dropouts.

I apologize for automatically blaming the PWD firmware for 24/192 drop-out issues. It’s easy to beat up on the most obvious source, and the network, which is less obvious to many of us “laypersons,” is all too often the culprit. What seems odd to me, however, is that with some F/M versions the problem seems to be less noticeable (which lead me to make my original assumption)…

I don't think this is a universal recommendation. I have the NAS and the Bridge hooked up to the same ~$50 Netgear gigabit switch and can normally play without dropouts. When I do have them, I am currently blaming them on other things (router grrr) on the network, not the switch. I'm going to make the normal operation "closed network" sometime soon so the internet router is not normally on the (closed) network. I will only plug in the Internet into the closed network for a Bridge firmware update. I know you can get a programmable switch and do this without moving wires around but I'm not buying one of these until I have the network fully stabilized. Likely will use an HP small-medium-business-class programmable router for this.

But it is true that the Ethernet interface in the Bridge is 10/100, not gigabit. So 10/100 isn't bad, but it doesn't automatically make a gigabit switch the first suspect in 24/192 dropouts.

Perhaps, but it fixed my dropouts.

I have three gigabit switches between the router and server and the PWD. I threw out the

10/100 switches I had because I thought in my naive view that it would slow it down and cause congestion on the network. Are you suggesting that I replace the last switch near the PWD (so that I can feed my MW Transporter as well as my PWDAC) or all three?

To Gordon, I am curious about moving the PWD closer to the router although my setup would not accomodate that on a permanent basis easily, but certainly that would help localize the issue without solving it since I would have to buy a new rack to put it next to it on a permanent basis…and bring more equipment into plain view, which would cause big WA(F) problems. I would like to fix the problem while keeping my marriage in tact.

@heaernow1

I would try the PLC ethernet extenders.

Best Buy, and others, offer a 30 day return if you do not like them.

Simple, effective and despite the “logic” to the contrary, I have never noticed any degradation in SQ.

http://www.linksys.com/en-mea/products/powerline/PLWK400

This wireless model also enhances iphone/pad etc control of components.

@hearnow1 I am suggesting that you replace the last switch near the PWD

The PWD must be very critical for these higher samplerates. This problem even occurs while there’s no switch in the chain, only 1 meter cat6 cable between the PWD and the gigabit computer. Gigabit can do so much faster streams if necassary, but the PWD still has hiccups. So beside the faster and better ethernetwork use a dedicated computer, nass or mac with high specs for the best result.

If possible use an internal harddisk, solid state, USB3, gigabit ethernet drives or other fast protocols.

In fact, the Bridge cannot cope with Jumbo frames, which might have been a remedy for some of this…(?)

Its the gigibit (1000) that is the problem. Slow it down to 100.

I use Netgear Nano500 Set XAVB5101 PLCs. They solved all the problems I had with wireless streaming. Once every couple of months I need to reboot the DAC via the PW DAC Controller. That way I don’t even have to get up!