Tsuyoshi Yamamoto

But what do you think of the sound of the track I posted?, he asks again.

Gordon said: Many, myself included, perhaps are looking beyond the “technical” and listening less judgmentally.

I can appreciate others may draw the line differently than I. I am however not thinking classically technical.

Rather, the issue is he has little to say. His music is repetitious, predictable and easy harmonies, staid and safe. Additionally, his chops are sufficiently limited that I suspect they are why his interpretations are so static and uninteresting. He must rely on tremolo, easy block chords, etc. as he simply does not have more to offer. His limited technique also explains the uneven touch, unintended louder and softer notes, etc.

The number of fans is not an indication of quality. As the Asian proverb states, If a thousand men say a foolish thing, it remains a foolish thing. That, or millions of Justin Bieber fans can’t be wrong.

It is rare I find technique gets in the way of enjoying a performance. For example, Miles Davis had intonation issues, control issues and the like. I have not heard of anyone finding his technique inadequate to express what he wanted to say.

Most jazz pianists have wonderful technique, and are fluid, able players. For example, Chick Corea’s touch, harmonic sophistication and creativity are all spectacular. Think of the lilting, airy runs of Oscar Peterson. The exquisite timing of Booker T. Jones. The dozens of others.

On the flip side, an eight year old violin student often plays with great enthusiasm, spirit and transmits great emotion. Yet, unless you are her parents, the lack of technique can make the experience pretty painful.

Where does one draw the line? For me, when the lack of technique is itself distracting, and when the inability to play limits what one can say.

I can tolerate the style even though it may not be ‘exciting’ but what I can’t take is the poorly honed steel daggers being thrust into my very being by the less than stellar recording equipment choices. :open_mouth:

J.P.

I’d sooner listen to Fats Waller playing stride on mono 78s for all eternity. That clip was a sonic affront and a musical bore.

Elk said: Miles Davis had intonation issues, control issues and the like.

Glad you mentioned this - there really are some cases where MD sounds like he needs a masterclass - and not because he’s trying to express something!

elk, we all have our understandable preferences and I do not mean n any way to sway your critique, rather I am just surprised at the volume of problems you have with these albums.

Something has to be wrong somewhere. Perhaps contact a local store that has the Import version as there is obviously something wrong with your copy or diet. I hope you give some of the others I posted a listen for “enjoyment value” and then see if you can get a a proper copy.

the reviews are quite strong and I have yet to read another negative one.

this one was one of many on Amazon

"Bottom line - This recording won several awards for its magnificent rendering of the piano. The raw detail and dynamics of the instrument, particularly in the upper registers, is breathtaking! The bass is likewise well recorded, being deep, smooth and retaining all of the fingering detail that makes it so lifelike. It’s very obvious that little if any compression or limiting was used in this session. It has the sound of a direct-to-disk recording, which I assumed it was when I heard it for the first time. Music wise - from the opening lone strike of a single key and soft chord which opens ‘Misty’ to the oh, so sweat low-high tap that ends ‘Angel Eyes’, you are in for some of the most eloquent interpretations of these classic and lesser known jazz standards. You’ll want this disk in your permanent listening rotation, let there be no mistake about it."

here is another one.

http://classicalcandor.blogspot.ca/2012/08/autumn-in-seattle-ultrahd-cd-review.html

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2584

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/tsuyoshi-yamamoto-trio.261986/

come to Montreal for the weekend and we can do a serious listen and giggle a bit.

I’ve amazoned one of the discs and will have a listen when I get back home, but the clip elk posted was really bad, sonically speaking. Did you listen to that clip Gordon?

BTW - I just got through another listen to Steve Kuhn’s Wisteria. I can’t really comment on the SQ at the moment b/c I just listen to the music - guess that’s a good thing. :slight_smile:

TRY THIS? only small file i have.

All my files are 35 to 80m so I can’t post them [30m limit].

I do know that the sacd, xrd and import versions seem to be better sound than local redbook.

most of the Amazon stuff comes out of an overnight puppy mill so the quality of product may be questionable.

<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
							<legend> Attached files </legend> <a href="/wp-content/uploads/attachments/59173=2061-c4fbb66601492ff7e1bf9ad69ef298.zip" target="_blank" class="gc-files">/FileUpload/ca/c4fbb66601492ff7e1bf9ad69ef298.zip</a> <span class="gc-filesize">(23.3 MB)</span>Â </fieldset>
David said: Glad you mentioned this - there really are some cases where MD sounds like he needs a masterclass - and not because he's trying to express something!

No kidding.

My favorite was a review some years ago after a local performance: "Many of his phrases trailed off into gasps. Whether this was as a result of running out of air or artistic intent was not clear."

Gordon said: Something has to be wrong somewhere. Perhaps contact a local store that has the Import version as there is obviously something wrong with your copy

I cannot believe that all three Three Blind Mice discs that I have are flawed and flawed in exactly the same way.

Once again, have you listened to my posted track?

Rip your copy of the title track for "Misty" to WAV or FLAC, upload it to a file sharing site, send me the link. I will download it and edit out a portion of the middle as I did on my posted file and will attach your version to this thread. My bet it is the same ear-piercing crap as my version.

But I can be proved wrong. :)

Gordon said: . . . most of the Amazon stuff comes out of an overnight puppy mill so the quality of product may be questionable.

What nonsense. There are special, bad CDs that Amazon seeks out for sale?

So which of these are from the puppy mill? Yamamoto recordings at Amazon

Oh no! I’ve got 51 puppies coming my way!

http://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Living-Presence-Boxed-Set/dp/B005XBA9Y8

:o3

:o3 :o3 :o3 :o3 :o3 :o3 :o3 :o3 :o3 :o3

Slightly off topic, but I’m looking for any distractions today (election day over here in Australia)… Perhaps some differences in audio setup may account for this difference of opinion?

I visited my friend @assisi last week. We had both heard the clear difference between the BDP2 and the bridge on my system. On his system, using similarly high end equipment, but with very different emphasis, there was no discernible difference between the bridge and the BDP2.

Both our systems are high end with the PWD II at the heart. Mine is a “clinical” setup with a huge soundstage and deep articulate bass, unforgiving of poorly recorded material though. His setup was warm and inviting and flattered all the material played. I enjoyed his system much more than I did my own. So much so I am on the hunt for new speakers.

When played on my system, Elk’s posted file is fairly bad. I don’t doubt I would enjoy it a lot more on @assisi’s system (although I didn’t try this).

@stereophilus - I was considering the same thing, which is why I was clear that I was using Etymotic ER4Ps to listen to the file - they don’t tell lies. I am leaving the lucky country today and will be able to check out the sample on the big rig in 36 hours and will comment on what I hear. It could be that I’ll now have an expectation bias about the recording, but we’ll see…

@stereophilus - I am leaving the lucky country today and will be able to check out the sample on the big rig in 36 hours and will comment on what I hear.

Damn. Would have been good to catch up while you were here in Australia. Don't forget to get a BBQ sausage before you leave. They make polling day a worthwhile event.

PS. New speakers are likely to be from the uk... http://www.pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/se-series/mb2-se

Will be back soon - maybe I’ll bring you some speakers :slight_smile:

:-bd

@stereophilus

I listened to a pair of PMC 24s the other day.

I was considering a swap for my Wilson’s. they are quite amazing considering the size of the drivers. Transmission line does wonders fo bass.

I still prefer mine but they were a good contender. 7500 Canadian here retail before begging and scratching.

@stereophilus
I listened to a pair of PMC 24s the other day.
I was considering a swap for my Wilson's.

That's a ringing endorsement. The mb2se's are a step up again, with the 75mm midrange driver being the best I've heard.

DARN!

I should have taken my Yamamoto CDs to test them with. =))

Elk: I will compare the tracks this weekend and send you a D-box of a file from my cd.

I can feel your pain from here so let’s hope it’s the medium and not your ears. :x

@Gordon: The “Amazon puppy mill,” thing. What gives? :-??

@wglenn

Amazon is a non-stocking reseller only on many products, and this makes a lot of sense.

When it comes to owning multiple copies of Billions of CDs, the CDs are often made overnight, by automated machinery including the printed covers, and then shipped to the purchaser.

Now, as I said, this makes sense.

However “just in time” delivery obviously takes priority over “individual best quality” largely since in the digital medium “bits are considered bits”.

We all know that in MOST cases Audiophile quality is an afterthought in the Mass production world.

Can a premium cd cut by a premium machine and well adjusted and maintained by a caring operator make an SQ difference to our ears??

I say yes. And, we have already established that any physical CD MAY already be a weak link in the delivery system.