Uh-oh ONZOW (stylus cleaning thread)

$25 later with a usb microscope, the gold one is a Koetsu Urushi retyped by Van Den Hul about 3 or 4 years ago and the blue one is a SoundSmith Zephyr Mk3 new about 18 months ago.

I use a VP Dust Buster and an Onzow.

2 Likes

Send em to Fremmer, as the photos Mikey provided show that there is something else going on. Yours looks sparklingly clean. Oznow or not.

The fact that Fremer’s pictures showed muck on the cantilever going into the body of the cartridge gave it way.

My experience is that good wet-cleaning of records keeping them dust and static free pays for itself in reduced cartridge wear and probably dirt accumulation, as well as better sound. That Koetsu retip was about $500 and will last many years - it’s already 4 years old and looking fine. SoundSmith have a cantilever assembly replacement policy at 20% of the new price, which is pretty unbeatable.

1 Like

We’ve been doing this vinyl thing for a long time…

A little thoughtful maintenance is what it takes, RCM, careful stylus brushing, a gel pad if desired, whichever brand, using a light touch as opposed to sinking the cantilever into the substance (I personally use DS ST-50 and love the results I get, again being gentle)

Static brush prior to play and finally a wet stylus cleaner for accumulated “gunk” being carful not to allow fluid up into the cartridge body

Apply common sense, be gentle and you’ll be all good, whichever products and methods you choose

Love Mikey, but did not care for the column…

Best,
-JP

4 Likes

Over on the How do you clean your stylus thread I posted this picture after cleaning with an Onzow for quite a while …

I had the cantilever and stylus replaced by Soundsmith, but haven’t reinstalled the cartridge yet. Using Blu-tack doesn’t excite me, but I now can inspect the cartridge on a more regular basis so I will give a try. It seems most cleaning procedures have issues.

Thanks for that! After watching this video, he would certainly take offense to that comment. However, it REALLY appears to me that he is absolutely bought and sold.

edit: If you want to hear someone say Fremer and his comrades are wrong about the ONZOW, look at 1:02 (that’s one hour, 2 minutes mind you).

For the Greater Good, I decided to sacrifice my Onzow before I made it gonzo from my cleaning kit.
I plunged a pin, a sturdy toothpicky thing and the end of a paper clip into the material. (I couldn’t sleep, so…)
When viewed under a microscope, I found no residue left behind.
The pin also came out of my DS Audio residue free.
Finally, I think the term “gel” might be misleading when referring to the Onzow or DS Audio

3 Likes

Some of Fremer’s income must come from “clicks/eyeballs” on his various media platforms. He’s putting a lot of words out pretty much every day. I do wonder if he’s simply moving too fast and isn’t taking the time necessary to appropriately represent or fully understand his findings.

1 Like

Having been in the market for another ONZOW after using the same one for 2 year (and cleaning it maybe 3 times total), I decided to up my game to the Flux ultrasonic from Music Direct. It’s more money, but when I think about how much I have been spending on carts and vinyl, it’s not that much more.

Michael has expensive audio indulgences that would make Al blush. So it’s not hard to see some motivation for income.

4 Likes

He’s using high school kids to write for him; one as young as 14—so he told me.
And I think it shows. For example the latest record review of Eric Clapton’s album, during which the “author” rants resentfully about Clapton’s financial well being and Clapton’s politics; this a record review. Very sophomoric.

3 Likes

Good approach, I do wonder if its adhesive tendencies are most apparent with rare materials, ruby stylus, boron cantilevers, etc. (tongue firmly inserted in cheek) :crazy_face:

1 Like

I haven’t read Mikey for some time, and you are reinforcing my casual decision not to.

2 Likes

I don’t know about the “rare materials” question but I have it on good authority, having spent 30 years in the Life Sciences field that it definitely tastes like chicken. :grinning:

2 Likes

Pass the Habanero sauce por favor…

1 Like

How to clean in depth the stylus of your turntable cartridge - YouTube

How not to use a ONZOW cleaning pad. pad should be placed on the platter and the stylus gently lowered onto the pad. Never seen this guy, was just searching ONZOW because I’ve never seen on before

PS there are many video demonstrations that show the proper use of this or any other pad

Best,
-JP

1 Like

I hope your anniversary cake doesn’t taste like chicken!

3 Likes

Wow! “How not to” indeed. You’d think he’d intuitively know not to jam it in there with such force!

1 Like

More better…

Onzow Zerodust Stylus Cleaner: How to Use and Clean - YouTube

1 Like