What's your favorite accessory or tool?

I thought it would be interesting to post some of our go to accessories or tools that we use to maintain our gear. Or just a device that you use and didn’t want to do without it.

Here’s two of my favorite:

I have a few of these. One on my desk, one near each one of my audio rigs, in the glove compartments of our cars, and at both of my work benches.

Everyone should have one of these gauges in their arsenal. This one is not the normal paper thin gauge. It’s solidly built and should last quite a long time.

6 Likes

Great thread!

In no particular order:
Swiffer duster
Microfiber cloths
Windex
Auto detail spray (Mothers or Meguiars for me)
US and Metric hex key sets. Ball end and straight.
Snap-On small screwdriver set
Cable ties
Contact cleaner
DVOM - I use a Fluke but any medium Q or better will do.

5 Likes

Good call on that. I am looking at my Fluke right now.

1 Like

One of my niftier tools in my audiophile tool box:

9 Likes

5 Likes

Not profound since Baldy named two at the top of my list, but shows commonality in the tools we’ve found necessary to maintain our finicky gear.

Jewelers screwdriver set. Slot and phillips head. I can’t imagine mounting a cartridge without it. Frankly, I’ve got to believe the people who assemble cartridges must have world class patience and extraordinary manual dexterity.

High power, 30x triplet LED lighted jewlers loupe. Another cartridge maintenance must have.

Tape measure.

Bubble level.

And yup, both US and metric hex keys.

1 Like

Digital Multimeter
Torx, Allen , screw driver bits
Cordless vacuum with attachments
Earwax Cleaner kit
Levels for foot and hand held
Laser measuring device
Fifty foot tape reel tape measure
Calibrated microphone and stand for DSP
Stabilant 22A
Portable 4 wheel caster dollies
Handheld magnifying device

3 Likes

For you or some other purpose? Inquiring minds need to know!

1 Like

So I can hear better and make system adjustments. A monthly tuneup. Then hot shower blast.

2 Likes

To be brutally honest—it is this: the perfect corkscrew. It helps make great music fabulous, bad music tolerable, and it helps console me when I screw up.

Cheers!

14 Likes

I’ll definitely drink to that.

For me, it’s the Audio Tools iPhone app by Studio Six. Best $20 I ever spent on this hobby. Followed closely by Room EQ Wizard.

1 Like

Tools? Who needs tools?

'Nuff said.

5 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one for my wife’s Christmas stocking :santa:

1 Like

Here’s another tool I like having on my bench. I really like quality shears and scissors.

KNIPEX Tools - Electrician’s Shears (9505155SBA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071HMM2RW/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_JEP3C6D619DSPV80NPYM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

7 Likes

I’ve lost track of how many of these snap knives we have. At least six. They are great for opening and breaking down boxes, opening mail and packages, etc…

DEWALT Utility Knife, Single Blade, Snap-Off, 18mm (DWHT10038) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051QI7SU/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_D2Q2YBQNYCBGZZAA6S0K

Thanks everyone for the memory nudge. I had forgotten about these:

Blue tape
25’ tape measure
Laser distance measure
Bubble levels
Iphone SPL meter
Iphone spectrum analyzer
Calibrated measurement microphone
Mic stand
REW - although I haven’t had much luck with it.
Acourate sound - haven’t used it at all yet
Boxes full of various cables
Anti vibe feet from cheap Sorbothane dots, sheets and strips to GAIA’s

All of the great help received here!

I think my favorite one is the remote control :grin:

2 Likes

Knipex makes really good tools.

2 Likes

What brand of laser level is that?

One of my favorite audiophile tools was an Audioquest binding post wrench, until I went from my Meadowlarks and their spade lugs back to Maggies and their banana plugs.

2 Likes