Upgrading the component between your ears

I’ve been playing or studying instruments and classical composition since I was young. This gives me a deep appreciation for classical music.

Recently I’ve been listening to some classical music appreciation classes online… specifically, recordings from The Great Courses, specifically the classes taught by Robert Greenberg. He is a wonderful lecturer, very funny, very insightful.

I also attend LA Phil concerts a four or five times a year and other smaller concerts every couple of weeks.

All of these things increase my enjoyment of recorded music.

I still want the best audio components I can afford. Enjoying my recently purchased DS Mk. 1.

5 Likes

I was a patron of the Philadelphia Orchestra for almost 30 years, and as well during that time a frequenter of many area venues offering jazz, folk, singing, and other (ukulele, anyone?) performances. Now that I reside in Florida the pickings aren’t quite as bountiful, but I agree regular live music is a must for anyone claiming to be an audiophile.

2 Likes

By the way, sometimes high-end skeptics criticize audiophiles by saying they claim to have “golden ears,” able to hear small distinctions that others can’t. I’ve never thought my ears were any better than anyone else’s but it’s how I listen that gives me an appreciation of fine audio. It’s my brain and even body (i.e. rhythm that gets me moving) that’s different than Julian Hirsch’s, not my ears.

4 Likes

My experience parallels yours. At 62, I do have good hearing, yet I assume many of my younger acquaintances have the same or better. It stuns me that they can hear what I can play on my audio system and be relatively unmoved. They claim to care about music, yet are not touched by a well recorded Steinway, Taylor guitar or a blistering Stratocaster solo.

Audiophiles must be a rare breed.

1 Like