uPnP/DLNA from NAS direct to DSD without JRiver or similar

Hi All,

I know that there are computer based media center’s such as JRiver available, however I already have a Netgear ReadyNAS which has the uPnP/DLNA service active on my network.

1. Can the DSD (or even the PWD II) access content directly from the NAS?
  2. How do I then select which song to play? Do I need an app on my iPhone or iPad to select music? If so, which? as I don't see any indication of the front panel of the DSD being able to browse the NAS.
  3. Will the Cover Art still be displayed (and sourced from the internet if not on the NAS)?
Thanks

SE

SE, MinimServer has packages for Synology and Qnap NASes so that the PWD or DS can be fed music directly from the NAS without the PC/Mac needing to be on. You’ll need an iPad or tablet as a control point for the music. You’ll also need to install MinimWatch on your PC or Mac, to be used only as needed to configure MinimWatch. Once configured the computer is no longer required.

I’ve only just started trying it myself. Seems okay. Magister here I think has been using it the longest. He may have additional advice.

SE,

You need an interface between your network and the DS. This could be PSA’s own Bridge or a third-party box. The Bridge fits in the expansion slot in the DS, so you don’t need a separate box. But it does not support gapless playback and some people find it a little flaky in terms of keeping the connection reliably (and others find it works just fine; this depends largely on how robust your network is). There is Bridge II coming out by the end of the year that will solve the gapless problem and (we hope) be more bulletproof. Two third-party boxes are the Auralic Aries and the Sonore Rendu. I believe there are others also. I use the Bridge so I can’t speak about others from personal experience. With the Bridge, album art is displayed if it is available on the NAS; I am not sure about what happens with others. But when you use a control point on your tablet/smartphone, you would see the art there so the DS’s display may not matter (I leave mine turned off).

Your ReadyNas may have a media server app available. I run a Synology NAS, and Synology offers a media server called Audio Station. They also offer an iPad app to control Audio Station, although you can of course open a browser window on your iPad and log in to the NAS and control it directly. Or you can use any UPnP control point on a tablet or smartphone. Check out wherever you normally download extra stuff for your ReadyNas and see what they have.

If ReadyNAS does not offer anything, or if you don’t care for their software, then I strongly recommend MinimServer: very good sound quality, lots of flexibility in displaying tags, great support from the developer. They have an installation package for ReadyNas. You also need Java on your NAS. You would use any UPnP-compliant control point. Let me know if you have other questions.

magister said ... There is Bridge II coming out by the end of the year that will solve the gapless problem and (we hope) be more bulletproof. ...
Great! but I would like to see the new PS audio uPnP application (eLyric's style) also... it will be the best christmas present
Denis said
Great! but I would like to see the new PS audio uPnP application (eLyric's style) also...
PSA has said that eLyric will no longer be developed or supported. I think it's reasonable for them not to be in the business of providing server software, since there are a number of options (MinimServer, JRiver, etc.) that were not available when they decided to develop EMM several years ago. I suggested in another thread that there should be PSA-specific apps for iPad and Android to control input selection, volume, etc. on the PWD/DS. Whether they will agree with that suggestion I can't say.

Denis said

‘‘I suggested in another thread that there should be PSA-specific apps for iPad and Android to control input selection, volume, etc. on the PWD/DS. Whether they will agree with that suggestion I can’t say.’’

• Does Roomi have any role in this?

I have not heard anything regarding verdicts from testing except for the Bridge web interface and valer_valer’s Windows based control app.

magister said
I suggested in another thread that there should be PSA-specific apps for iPad and Android to control input selection, volume, etc. on the PWD/DS.
I wholeheartedly agree. And, if like, you're planning (or wishing) to buy a PWT or a Bridge II, then an iOS control app that functions on both iPad and iPhone is a must.

Try mconnect for iphone or mconnect hd for ipad. It works really well for me with a Buffalo NAS and my PWDII/bridge.

Just got a DS upgrade kit to install and it should work fine, too, since the bridge is the network connection.