USB driver for windows

Recently I installed the latest USB driver in Windows 8.1.

After I installed the driver I’m pretty sure the SQ decreased quite a bit. The standard driver which is automatically installed and could be used in Jriver called PS audio 1.0 or something, sounded breathtaking clean, natural and very refined, is gone.

Is there a way to restore the driver or can I download it?

maybe I’m wrong and is the difference caused by an other cause, but to be sure I would like to test the older driver.

Thanks in advance!

You can try removing all drivers for PS Audio, reconnecting the DAC, and let the automatic install process do its thing once again. This should get you back to the driver you were using.

You may have to poke about the registry a bit as well. Just run regedit, select the Edit tab, select Find, enter ps audio. Delete every entry by pressing F3 key. You may want to repeat the process using PSAUDIO in the Find box.

Now you can run a true clean reinstall.

Thank you both for your reaction.

I have tried everything to delete the driver so the older driver would install automatically, but i could not manage without reinstalling windows. So I gave up for now.

But an other thought came up. It also could be the windows updates that changed the sound. So I made a start and deleted 75% of the updates and the sound refined again. So this could be a very interesting thing. I will delete the rest of the updates and report back tommorow.

regards,

Wijnand

I could be completely wrong, but I remember someone discovering that turning off enhancements in the Windows Sound control panel for the PS Audio device fixed some weird problem like this.

Anyway <Check “Disable all enhancements”> and

@Ted: Actually I observed that turning off the enhancements solved an issue with the PC losing the USB connection to the DS after a while. So it seems different to the problem here.

Thanks, that sounds familiar, but I also ran into some idiot sound card ambiance enhancer that screwed with things other than the sound card. I don’t have high confidence that this is the problem but if updating drivers makes a difference I suspect all drivers :)

Thanks.

The enhancements were dissabled.

Is it possible to get the PS audio USB driver 1.0? To give it a try anyway.

I have attached v1.61 from November of 2013. Perhaps this is of interest.

Thanks Elk.

i’ve tried your driver. It seems not compatible with the DS.

Maybe I will once find out with a clean installation.

Unfortunately it is the only older driver I have.

Out of desperation, I am posting to say that I am having trouble with the driver installation as well. To condense a long story I uninstalled the v2.0 latest driver in order to reinstall because I could not get the ASIO driver to show up in JRiver. I went through Registry cleaning of psaudio and after several tries the driver reinstalled after first giving the message that it was going to uninstall v1.61 (or something like that). It finally did complete the installation but I still cannot get the ASIO Perfectwave driver to show up as choice in JRiver (even though in my first driver installation when I first got my DS-DAC it did install correctly). This all started by trying to play a 352.8/24-bit file. It will play the file but only after JRiver down-converts to 48 kHz/24-bit. Help!

Hi hifidr@gmail.com,

have you tried to test your driver in the audiosettings in the configuration panel? You can here a test tone on your left and richt speaker doing this. This way you know for sure if the trouble is Windows or Jriver related.

I have had trouble loading the drivers on my Windows 8 laptop. What finally worked for me was to delete the drivers from my registry, turn the back switch off on the DAC ,reload the drivers, turn the rear switch back on, go into the control panel check sound, if PS Audio appears in menu check it as the default driver tap OK and you should be good to go.

hifidr@gmail.com said Out of desperation, I am posting to say that I am having trouble with the driver installation as well. To condense a long story I uninstalled the v2.0 latest driver in order to reinstall because I could not get the ASIO driver to show up in JRiver. I went through Registry cleaning of psaudio and after several tries the driver reinstalled after first giving the message that it was going to uninstall v1.61 (or something like that). It finally did complete the installation but I still cannot get the ASIO Perfectwave driver to show up as choice in JRiver (even though in my first driver installation when I first got my DS-DAC it did install correctly). This all started by trying to play a 352.8/24-bit file. It will play the file but only after JRiver down-converts to 48 kHz/24-bit. Help!
What version of J River are you running? It doesn't make sense that you no longer can get ASIO to show up. What other options do you currently have?

Some other people have complained about the ASIO driver option disappearing in JRiver as well. I suspect that some version of JRiver had a regression. I only use ASIO in JRiver and haven’t run across that particular problem but DSD was totally broken for a little while and a previous version wouldn’t start at all. I’m currently running JRiver 19.0.162 without problems but I just noticed 19.0.163 purports to fix a problem with on the fly conversion to DSD if you were using that.

hifidr@gmail.com said It will play the file but only after JRiver down-converts to 48 kHz/24-bit.
Did you set it to downsample in order to get it to play or is that just happening? If the latter, check Tools/Options/Audio/Settings/DSP & output format and make sure it is not set to convert that resolution to a lower resolution.

I have the disappearing driver problem on two separate PCs. They are both Windows 8 machines. Both installed fine, worked for a period of time (1-2 hours). On one, the sound stopped during jriver playback and upon inspection the driver was no longer visible in the Windows Sound selector. Would not reinstall, kept asking for the DS to be re-attached. On the second one, installed fine and was using the Tidal web player. Worked great until the PC went to sleep. Upon waking, driver was missing and would not reinstall. Hopefully there is a fix.

palladio said I have the disappearing driver problem on two separate PCs. They are both Windows 8 machines. Both installed fine, worked for a period of time (1-2 hours). On one, the sound stopped during jriver playback and upon inspection the driver was no longer visible in the Windows Sound selector. Would not reinstall, kept asking for the DS to be re-attached. On the second one, installed fine and was using the Tidal web player. Worked great until the PC went to sleep. Upon waking, driver was missing and would not reinstall. Hopefully there is a fix.
I have the same on one W2012 Server PC, have to switch the PS off and on with the black switch at the back and then it is visible again. Annoying... anyone having a solution? Thanks!