Issue with USB connection (No sound)

I searched for a similar thread and followed some advice which seems relevant to my case but they didn’t help. So I appreciate if someone who has an experience or knowledge helps me.

Situation

Directstream DAC does not produce sound even though its display shows that connection is locked via USB (green light on USB icon mark).

• My OS is Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8). I downloaded driver from PS Audio site and installed. In the device manager and in playback device list, I can see "PS Audio Perfectwave DSD" as described in troubleshooting section of the manual.
  • In Media center, I can see "PS Audio Perfectwave DSD [WASAPI]", "PS Audio USB Driver (ASIO)" and a few other entries. I choose PS Audio Perfectwave DSD [WASAPI], as instructed.
  • When playing files (FLAC, various sampling rates 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 96KHz), it starts playing in the media center as if everything is fine when using PS Audio Perfectwave DSD [WASAPI]. But there is no sound. When using other driver, suc as "PS Audio USB Driver (ASIO)", error message appears and play back does not start. (Perhaps, this is as desgined??)
  • For Bitstreaming (YES/NO) and output encoding (None/DSD in DOP format), I tried all the combination and none worked.
  • In the event log in the device manager, by choosing view all events, it appears that there are currently seven instances of directstream DAC, i.e. .. DSD/...DSD1/DSD_1/DSD_2/DSD_3/DSD_4/DSD_5. (This is perhaps because I tried reinstalling DAC a couple of times.) In the 6 out of 7 instances, there is an error log as following.

Device USB\VID_2616&PID_0110\6&1d7f3b2&0&7 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem15.inf
    Class Guid: {d7a62fb4-d435-415f-9e2b-9cc538c2479d}
    Service: psaudio
    Lower Filters:
    Upper Filters:
    Problem: 0x15

• PC does not recognize Directstream DAC when PC is simply rebooted or USB cable is detached and then attached again. It appears that I need to power off the DAC and then power on everytime I reboot PC in order for PC to recognize the DAC. (I am not sure if this is by design or an issue.)
  • Directstream DAC has a bridge card I installed. (Never used). USB version in 0.0.0.6, Firmware version is 1.2.1
What I tried
  • Deleting driver, restarting PC and then re-installing drivers. ( I did it a couple of times.)
  • In addition to my primary desk top PC, I used my laptop to test connection. The result was the same and no sound.
  • Tested various sequence of rebooting PC and DAC.
  • Changing USB cable and location of USB port used to connect.
  • Tested with various music files with different sampling rate. (But no DSD files).
I tried everything I can think of. Actually there is one time I hear some sounds for about 10 seconds before DAC became silent. But for those 10 seconds, the sound was interrupted and not stable. That the only one occasion I hear anything during my numerous trial and error in two days.

I appreciate if anyone can indicate me what I could do further to solve the problem.

Thanks,

Has it ever played correctly via USB?

You might try reloading the DS firmware. You will probably have to go back to a previous version, then re upgrade.

Dennis

Since you clearly have some USB driver problems the following How To should be of use: How to fix USB connectivity issues with DACs

Then to help to see if there are any PC or player configuration issues: How to run a bit perfect test with DirectStream

Dennis Kerrisk said Has it ever played correctly via USB?

You might try reloading the DS firmware. You will probably have to go back to a previous version, then re upgrade.

Dennis

Hi Dennis, Thanks for the suggestion. This is the first time I connect DS to PC. I am using the factory installed firmware. (I didn’t update yet.) So it is unlikely that the firmware is an issue.

Ted Smith said Since you clearly have some USB driver problems the following How To should be of use: How to fix USB connectivity issues with DACs

Then to help to see if there are any PC or player configuration issues: How to run a bit perfect test with DirectStream

Ted, Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I tried How to fix USB connectivity issues with DACs befpore my original post but to make 100% sure, I followed the instruction again and still didn’t make it work. Actually, Media center now stops when playing the file for the first time and then when press play button, it goes to buffering and hangs. So it is a little worse than before.

While driver installation dialog says the installation completed successfully, when I check [Device Manager]-[PS Audio USB 2.0 Audio Device]-[PS Audio Perfectwave DSD]-[Events]-[View all Events], I see error event during installation. (Please see below).

Log Name - Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Device configuration

Device USB\VID_2616&PID_0110\5&15c311e1&0&10 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem15.inf
Class Guid: {d7a62fb4-d435-415f-9e2b-9cc538c2479d}
Service: psaudio
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x15

That’s not the right driver. If you are comfortable with the Device Manager (run “Device Manager control panel” from the Windows Start menu) you first use the menu entry and then go down to the “Sound, video and game controllers” section. Right click on any “PS Audio…” and uninstall the driver. Also go to the “PS Audio USB 2.0 Devices” and install the drivers for each of the entries below that. Then you want to follow the USB problems instructions again- being very pedantic about each power on, power off, cable disconnect and cable connect listed.

When you are done you can go back to the Device Manager control panel and verify that when you go back to those devices and do a right click and then click on the tab that the drivers are all from PS Audio - I have version “1.61.0.0” on my Windows 10 box.

I also had a problem getting the DS DAC to play with JRiver 21 using Windows. It came down to this. When streaming to the DAC, you select whatever the description for the DS DAC is under the “Playing Now” list. However, when you are connected to the DS DAC via USB, you choose “Player” under the “Playing Now” heading. You need to go first to Tools>Options>Audio>Zone to Configure>Player>Audio Device. Then select PS Audio USB Driver. In my selection list PS Audio USB Driver is followed by [ASIO].

My apologies if you’ve already done this but I couldn’t tell if that was the case or not.

I haven’t used JRMC 21 yet but you should be able to create a new player “zone” with an appropriate name and configure that. Not necessary at all but can save some confusion.

I’m also having a similar problem since the Yale upgrade. I’m using a JRiver Id (an Intel NUC with JRiver software) to connect to my server (a Mac Mini) and the Directstream via erthernet. After the upgrade, PS Audio does not appear on the list of audio devices available for output from the JRiver Id. (In contrast, if I connect the Directstream to a networked MacBook loaded with JRiver 21, “PS Audio USB Audio 2.0 Output [core audio]” appears).

According to JRiver, I’m supposed to try the 19 various choices until one works. Some SEEM to work. The JRiver software indicates music playing; the Directstream indicates a connection to the JRiver Id (green light when source selected), but no sound plays.

With Yale, your USB cable MUST have 5 volts connected or Yale will not see it.

Dennis

And how do I determine (and or control) whether my USB cable has 5 volts connected?

If you already have a PS Audio DirectStream DAC, just try the cable, if it works, good enough.

Any standard USB cable will have the 5V connected. If your cable doesn’t have the USB logo on the ends or you bought a USB cable that was designed for use in audiophile systems, check with the seller.

It’s a Cardas cable and it works fine when connected to a MacBook. The problem seems to be between the JRiver Id software and Yale.

If it worked with Pike’s Peak and not with Yale it doesn’t have the 5V connected. You can ask Cardas to make sure.

But I am using that cable to connect a MacBook with no problems.

That’s not incompatible with what I said. When a USB cable doesn’t meet the USB certification specs the circumstances that it works in and the ones it doesn’t aren’t at all obvious. The DirectStream with Yale tells the host that it doesn’t need 5V, that allows certain controllers to work with the DirectStream that couldn’t otherwise and it solves some connection problems which caused people to have to reboot the DirectStream at times to get USB working. Ironically it also keeps cables that don’t connect the 5V line from working with the DirectStream (at least in most systems). There are quite a few posts here with more details if you are interested.

Thanks for the explanation. I will try a different cable and report back. The Id has been so finicky, I was thinking of moving it to a secondary system and using the Bridge or an alternative with the DS, but it would still be great to get it working with the DS again.

I tried a basic USB cable that had been connecting my printer and a Chord Silver Plus. No luck.

I am not a big fan of Windows OS for music server functions - even though it has the potential to sound very good.

The biggest challenge to me - is the need for USB Audio Class 2.0 drivers from different manufacturers. On Linux and Mac OS (any release in the last 2 years or so), there is a standard USB Audio Class 2.0 driver and it works with virtually all new USB DACs without any dedicated driver.

Most companies licence the Thesycon Windows driver but because of licensing rights, they don’t work across different DACs.

So I have ended up installing the Thesycon driver NUMEROUS times on the same Windows installation and these have a tendency to really muck up a working audio installation.

I have noticed on numerous occasions - JRiver and Windows Control Panel seeing the USB audio device - and in fact, the spectrum analyser on JRiver shows the music as playing but nothing is coming out of my USB DAC.

I don’t know if you have installed other USB Audio drivers for different DACs on your Windows installation but if you have - it would be the same case as what I encountered. Thesycon includes an uninstaller. You could try using that to remove other USB Audio drivers but if all else fails, I’d recommend a clean install - and only installing one USB Audio driver for the device you want to use.