Using banana plugs with BHK 250

Yes, it is odd. Unscrewed red and black binding posts all the way, and only have issues with the black ones. Tried two different banana plugs: ChordOhmic Banana Plug and AQ SureGrip 300 Gold BFA/Banana, got same results.

Bizarre, but you have done everything you can.

Elk is right as the binding posts are identical except for the little black or red ring bit. There must be something else going on as the binding post shouldn’t care what color is on it.

I ended up using an awl tool as @foxtrot suggested to widen the holes in the binding posts. The bananas fit now.

I found on my BHK that the tolerances of the “teeth” within the hole (the part that clamps down onto the plug) varied widely from post to post. Some of the posts, when inserting the plug, it would catch on one or more of these teeth which prevented the plug from being inserted (and my immediate fear of damaging the plug). Was not a happy experience. I now blissfully believe I will never have to touch it again and all is well in my world. But, I’m now not a fan of banana plugs.

1 Like

A great solution, and good to hear you are back on track.

I am having the same problem. And none of the suggestions here help.
So I have to replace the binding posts.
Any recommendations for some good ones?

I think that a banana plug is 4mm nominal diameter. If you loosen up the binding post nut as far as it will easily go and work a 4mm diameter rod (small Philips screwdriver, 4mm drill bit shank or similar) into the post it should open up the inside of the terminal enough to easily accept the banana plug.
Those posts grip the banana when tightened up and if they get over tightened from just using wire or a thin spade connector (or no connection at all) it will collapse the internal section that the banana fits into.

5 Likes