Using multiple power amps for one speaker?

Just curious…

I see Paul uses one mono amp for each of his IRSV Speakers.

I’m sure it would be possible to utilize two or more power amps to power different sections of each speaker that size…

So why not do that?

I’m pretty sure @Paul is using separate bass amps (~4K watts / channel if I recall correctly), so you technically have 4 mono blocks running the system. That said, I’d look to his input on benefits/return of running separates for mid/highs (including crossover impacts/adjustments that would certainly be needed).

1 Like

Senna1a is correct. The IRSV has powered bass columns so the BHK 300s are driving the mid/tweet panels.

2 Likes

All true, but I guess my question is more along the lines of - is there a ceiling on efficiency? Can even more amps be beneficial?

The IRSVs do have alot of drivers.

I’m sure Paul could wire up the IRSVs to be able to bi-amp, if he wanted. Not sure if the improvement, if any, would warrant the cost and time involved. When I had my Maggie Tympani 1s, I got an electronic crossover network from this engineering firm in New Hampshire, and ran the tweeter and mid range panels with an Audio Research D76 ( 75W a side), and the woofer panels with an original Harmon Kardon Citation 22 ( 200W a side). It wouldn’t have been a big deal to add a 3rd amp to run one on each panel. Doubt if it would have made that much of a difference. Got to a point that I was happy with the way they sounded, and just put on some tunes. The tube amps did a great job on the tweet/mid, and the 200W transistor amp handled the woofer panels well. There are no “right” answers. Go ahead and tinker and see what you can come up with, then let us know.

Happy memories…

Mongo

2 Likes

I would think a lot of the benefit would be based on the particular speaker and efficiency or lack of. I’ve biamped electrostats - the thought being that maybe it might help the amp deal with impedance swings in the stats. And yes they sounded better