Was Upcoming DS release - Now Windom has been released

Thank you very much Elk !

1 Like

All of the efforts and money I spent in the last three years kept yielding SQ improvements in my system, but even with Snowmass 3.0.6, there was still some slight listening fatigue due to remaining audible harness in the mids and highs.

But after listening to Windom for the last 8 days, I cannot believe that such a significant layer of harness could disappear with a single firmware update : simply amazing.
Pure enjoyment and bliss without any additionnal efforts on my part: just load (with one initial bad load), listen, and enjoy.
Life is great with my DSD Sr.
Windom is an absolute keeper until the next firmware update.
Many thanks to Ted and the whole PS AUDIO team.

3 Likes

Yale to Windom didn’t work here.
For me (DSj) Snowmass 2.02 > Windom does the magic (I guess…)

I share your feeling and emotion. Congrat!

1 Like

@ted @Paul
Just a thought…
If the upgrade path (whatever is the best for each system, listener, or whatever other reason) produces a different sounding DS, indicates that the previous FW is not completely removed upon upgrade process.
If so (and only you can confirm that) is it possible to do some kind of previous “cleaning” process, and then apply the new FW (whatever one may prefer) from scratch?
This way, we can rest assure that a specific FW will sound always the same.
Thanks.

1 Like

I’ve not seen it mentioned on this long thread but, since updating to Windom, and using Bridge II, DirectStream Senior is failing to display album art. I’m using the same ‘blank’ SD card I used for Snowmass. Has anyone else experienced this? Sound quality is brilliant, and so no complaints there.

Sadly, we are all on the same bus.

I too recycle my SD card for updates but only just started using the card with all but the cover art file left on it. I’m still getting the image displayed on the screen as I did with previous versions so I don’t think it’s a Windom issue.

1 Like

This is exactly my experience.
Only after Yale, i first installed Snowmass and thereafter Windom and all was good again.
After each installation i rebooted twice (just to be sure).
Now Windom sounds extraordinary, by far the best i ever had.

Hi guys. Do you know where I can find old versions such as Yale, Huron, Redcloud etc.?

As I stated before, I am not happy with what Windom is doing in my system and curious if its a bad load problem.

Here: https://www.psaudio.com/support/downloads/

“Product Update Archives”

2 Likes

Thank you very much.

1 Like

My art was on and off with Snowmass now with Windom it seems a bit more consistent but still not displaying regularly. It might be source dependent, seems to display more often with Spotify and MConnect, less so with Roon. And with Snowmass I was still getting self starts, which I thought had been fixed, have not seen yet with Windom though may be too early.

1 Like

Sorry if I am getting in late. Terri and I are in New England doing some leaf-peeping at fall colors and I haven’t been keeping up with the forums as much as I should. (I’d be shot)

I do want to address a few of the issues and maybe they’ve been addressed already.

The reset on loading Windom to volume level 25 is on purpose. We did that to make sure the volume didn’t jump higher than expected. Maybe dumb but it’s not a bug.

Can’t get the volume to 100, only 90. This is likely because the max volume is set to 90. You can adjust the max volume in the setup menu.

image005 image002

To get to the menu shown above you:

1. Press the gear in the upper left corner.
  2. Press the setup button on the screen.

“Paulo…? He broke the President!!..”

• Firesign Theater

This could be the answer for the Great Load Problem. If Ted can code the Question, “Why does the Porridgebird lay his eggs in the air?” we can feed it to the FPGA to clear the memory prior to a new load.

1 Like

As soon as we get shoes for the dead this may all clear up.

Sorry, maybe, to continue to derail this thread. :slight_smile:

In this case, its Industry that need the shoes ; )

@tedsmith - would it be helpful (or even possible) to build in the capability to do a memory dump wherein when someone does have an issue, the dump file could be examined to see where the differences are compared to what it should be? Would the dump file simply be too large?

Yes I did read it. I am pointing out that you have no first hand experience yet you persist in railing about what should be done. Since you have on fist hand info you are just a pot stirrer without a dog in the fight. I was subtlety pointing out that you have nothing valuable do add to this subject. The point is “you don’t have a dog in the fight”. It would be far better if the people with real knowledge discuss this for themselves and you refrain from appointing yourself their advocate.

2 Likes

I posted my impression here: