We also love cars

Richard–You aren’t still using the stock cord are you???

1 Like

@RonP - OK, busted! You know I’ve got nothing that’s stock or I did not customize… :nerd_face::sunglasses: I have the 25ft extra long cord with the polisher. In addition, I had my garage equipped with 220V plug center outer wall w/ a custom 25ft 8 gauge 220V extension cord I put together for my welder… That way I can TIG weld anyplace in my 3 car garage. I live to design and redesign everything and anything…:nerd_face::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ahh!!! I love the smell of ozone in the morning…

@mark-d - I have a nice Lincoln SW200; however, TIG welding is an art. My first job was converting my Deuce Coupe turned down at the axel exhausts to exiting after the bumper to reduce the cabin sound… There was more grinding than welding… man do I suck at TIG welding.

Up and over the axle, got it done and it turned out nicely

Wrapping the exhaust with pyrometer and O2sensor bungs. I went H bridge instead of X bridge due to the low end torque of the fully blown (TBS) 383 stroker…

Here is a nice TIG weld by a pro. I’m converting my dual quad 750cfm Quickfuel carbs to EFI FiTech 1200HP adder. I designed the air plenum so I could fit it under the hood. The welder customized this low profile dual air plenum. Check out the beading… it is an art… mock-up shows it will fit. Need some time to convert the tank, lines, fuel rails…

2 Likes

cardri…nice job on your exhaust system… Your right though,TIG or “Heliarc” welding is an art form for sure. You had better have some steady hands or it will turn into a complete mess.

Beautiful photographic example from the net… :grin:

4 Likes

@mark-d - then I look at my pathetic work and thank goodness I don’t make a living welding… I would starve…

I made a living doing stainless and carbon steel TIG of work for a lot of years. We still do some fab work today. Here’s a small project from today. 120 of these welded assemblies. Stainless steel retaining bracket for a customer.

1 Like

@Baldy - Vern - as soon as I did my first weld I knew I sucked at this TIG welding. It is an art and it is good to do stuff that you suck at, it keeps you humble and you really appreciate those that have massive talent. Like going to a music show and listening to a great musician… man I suck at playing an instrument and that person is amazing. You get to appreciate talent by attempting stuff…

My steel road bike frame is TIG welded. Those guys were masters of their craft. Welds are almost invisible.

Welding is a lot like knitting or sewing except you get to add enough of your style to make each weld you make recognizable to you as your own work. It does take a lot of practice and experimentation to get a feel for what is going to work in any particular situation. I always studied the chemistry of the material being welded as well as the filler material. I imagine it’s a little like making music up to a point although music is a lot more artistic.

Now understanding electricity is a whole ‘nother can of worms. :worried:

1 Like

I know this thread is full of car purist, and aren’t fans of sport SUVs but I am.

I have a close friend and business associate with a 2017 Macan GTS. 17k miles, will be CPOd by a local dealer, 2 years maintenance and 3 years of warranty left for $10K under market. Volcano Gray with black interior. Just agreed in principal to the deal. Barring something unforeseen, I should have it next weekend. Excited!

I’ve driven. 1/2 dozen cars in the segment:X3M, GLC AMG 43, etc. The Macan is a deal I can’t pass up.

4 Likes

I absolutely LOVE those things. I’m shopping for one now.

1 Like

Go for it. We have three SUV’s one is a Hybrid one is a high performance SUV with about 500 horsepower and one is a Jeep Wrangler albeit it’s loaded with all options. I’ve had Ferrari’s, Porsche’s and Mercedes sports cars. I’m not a youngster and I don’t need to boost my ego with a car that screams “look at me”. The reality is that if you live in Canada you need traction and convenience. Enough said and no apologies.

1 Like

Love sport SUVs. We own a Range Rover Evoque too… we use it for getting stuff from Home Depot and groceries… forgot - turbocharged and very fast… except after a few months in the Z06 I notice it got slower…? just sayin

1 Like

The Evoque is a great looking vehicle IMHO.

We love our Evoque and will get another one after we put another 100K mi on this one… we thought of going Sport and just can’t see it for a tiny bigger and V8 that is not that much faster… that Evoque is really fast… I’ve had it to 130mph

2015 w/ 100K miles and running great only 2nd set of tires and no brakes yet… just love that SUV

But - first we get a 2022 Z51 convertible before the RR Evoque…

Forgot - amazing tunes too…

…and it’s a handsome son of a ***** (system actually won’t let me write the word LOL).

4 Likes

@amsco15 - very nice looking and you won’t go wrong. Ron is a Porsche guy… I will never own one; however, looks nice. Cars are very personal…

1 Like

Our 2015 RR Evoque…

1 Like

Cars don’t stay that clean here without a super effort. Beautiful car!!