What are you listening to/watching on YouTube?

The opening fanfare is Abblasen by Gottfried Reiche. Reiche was Bach’s trumpet player at Leipzig. Trumpet players were highly paid, and had their own guild, as the instrument was/is so difficult.

Sunday morning used an authentic version played by Don Smithers on a natural trumpet as used in Bach’s time (no valves). I miss it.

They switched to a decidedly unauthentic version played by Doc Severinsen on a piccolo trumpet and now use a recording of Wynton Marsalis on piccolo.

The piece is not all that hard, but keeping everything in tune is difficult.

Neat trivia, the piece is from a painting of Reiche in which he holds a bit of music, similar to the painting of Bach holding a sheet of manuscript.

Probably more than you wanted to know from a trumpet nerd.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Speechless. I. am. just. speechless.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

A mostly lighthearted musical sendup of life under quarantine, Vermont style. I cracked up when the mom took the vodka bottle from the kid and gave her something else to drink…

4 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes

Always fun. One gets a better appreciation of the skill involved when watching the performance.

I also always enjoy Sarah Hicks (the conductor).

1 Like
5 Likes

That was impressive.

5 Likes
1 Like

1 Like
4 Likes

I have no idea why.

1 Like

I watched this live this morning. I did not know they put episodes online this quickly.

Yeah, me either. I actually found it on YouTube as the piece was airing for me locally.

1 Like