What are you spinning right now?

Juan Crisóstomo de Arriaga (1806-26)

Another troubled “larger than life” Star.

Watching this fascinating documentary. There’s about an hour of additional interviews as bonus material that really are very interesting to hear . …Teddy Charles, Billy Taylor, Ira Gitler et al.

Kalevi Aho: Symphony No. 15 (2009-10)

Michael Jarrell: …es bleibt eine zitternde Bebung… (Nachlese III) for clarinet, cello and orchestra (2007)
Ernesto Molinari, clarinet
Thomas Demenga, cello
WDR Sinfonieorchester/Peter Rundel

1 Like

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Schubert is a bit ‘out of period’ for me but I listened to it and was impressed at how it had been transformed into something resembling a concept album. Just looking at some of her other albums it would appear that Ms Kopatchinskaja likes to mix things up a bit. Since I find full orchestra a bit overwhelming nowadays I then played this more conventional interpretation. I shall now escape gratefully back to Baroque!

schubert_death

The concerts with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra were concept events. The album is a recording made at the concerts. When she first appears on stage she was in a one-piece black leotard with a white skeleton. The concerts were delicious fun.

All of her performances are outside of the box. I recently saw her perform the Beethoven violin concerto. She plays parts very softly, adds glissandos, flirts with other orchestra members, mimics other’s phrasing, etc. Playful, dramatic, borderline nutty. I sometimes find her brilliant; others, highly annoying - which of course means she is expressing something new.

Rediscovering Dave Brubeck.

dave%20brubeck%201

1 Like

1 Like

Pelle Gudmundsen-Holmgreen: Mirror II
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Thomas Dausgaard
Recorded: 14-16 December 2014
Recording Venue: BBC Maida Vale Studios, London, United Kingdom

1 Like

Wow! You are consistently posting 21st century European composers that I’m not familiar with…thanks for all the suggestions. It’s hard to keep up but I’m trying… :wink:

Unfortunately Gerard Grisey didn’t quite make it to the 21st century. He died at age 52 in 1998.

I just noticed that myself. 52 is young. Ruptured aneurysm?

Pascal Dusapin: À Quia, for piano and orchestra (2002)
Ian Pace, piano
Orchestre De Paris/Christoph Eschenbach

WYWH

5 Likes

Luigi Boccherini: String Trio in A major, Op. 54, no. 6
La Real Cámara

Tessa Souter “Obsession”

Wow. Very nice.