What do people think of new Octave release - 'The Nature of Things'?

What do people think of the new octave release - ‘The Nature of Things’?

From PS Audio website:

“FoxFeather’s The Nature of Things is the kind of release that gets music lovers talking and feet tapping.” ← HERE

VIDEO → HERE

Mine’s en route. Loved what I heard.

1 Like

Waiting on my SACD to arrive.

Liked the snippets available on the Octave page but did not listen to all of them all of the way through…

My brief sampling leads me to believe it will be a very enjoyable recording.

Time will tell…

1 Like

Downloaded the digital version but haven’t had time to listen. I’m sure it is another gem though.

2 Likes

I like it very much as I downloaded and listened to all the formats. The music and writing are first rate.

I find the album very clear and the vocals are superbly recorded, but I would say the overall recording is on the “dry” side with little room or natural reverb in the mix. I keep in mind that these are all choices that the artists and engineers make and want as it is their work.

When viewing in my Sony Sound Forge DAW V. 12.6, the vector scope shows often a vertical display “form” with a small amount of left and right spread which gives a very strong center image, including the drums and guitar on occasion. In a very wide, L & R stereo image you would see a “ball of wool trace” with great movement. You will have to respond with your take on this from what your perspective is from your systems. There is no doubt that the performances and the recording are superbly clear.

These decisions on where to place the instruments in the left and right “arc” spread from 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock, left and right, are choices every one has to make when recording in stereo. I am a huge fan of 24/192 and DSD and love this recording. The track with mostly piano accompaniment has the piano wider.

I look forward to other’s comments as I am only a voice of one. I own all the Octave Records releases and look forward to each one and the artistic and engineering elements as well.

5 Likes

Thanks for this review. Much appreciated. I agree. This is a wonderful album that we are really proud of.

1 Like

Waiting for SACD copy to arrive.

1 Like

Let’s hope USPS is speeding up! I’ve been receiving less emails about CD delays so I’m hoping they’re picking up the speed a bit!

2 Likes

Ordered June 21, arrived Tuesday June 29 (Houston TX).
Maybe find time to do a serious listening on July 4 long weekend.
But First play, I seems to like the final track more than the first track.

1 Like

THat’s fast, I ordered on June 21 too, but USPS is expecting delivery on July 7 (north Idaho).

1 Like

I did notice that the USPS delivery to my area improves since the previous octave release. Took about 4 days once USPS has it.
This time PSA passed the package to USPS on 25th 12:25PM, and I have it about 4 days later.
Keeping my fingers crossed on my future orders. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Nick, Where did you find the tracking info for your order if I may ask? Thank you, Paul

1 Like

Came from PS Audio.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

This album sounds great - loved the way it was recorded. In my opinion, its probably the most “alive sounding” octave release - feels more like im at a live event. ‘Ghost of you’ is my favorite track at the moment.

1 Like

Meh.

Paul I would also add that now is the time to begin adding the all the Octave titles to your music library. It is east to do now that owning all of the beginning titles is affordable in the beginning of this new label. It is easy to afford at $29 a disc or download.

2 or 3 years from now as the entire catalog has grown to decent proportions it would be harder to add 20 to 30 titles at once, and in some cases the physical media may all be sold out, possibly.

I would say get on board now and start your Octave collection while it is still easy to do. Plus, at 24/192 and DSD you will be enjoy your system with the best possible formatted music out there. You will not regret this decision.

1 Like

Mine came Wednesday. I agree it’s wonderful music. Performances are first-rate. I agree the sound is mostly dry, with the possible exception of the piano on the final track, which has some minimal ambience. Not exactly hall sound - maybe natural cabinet resonance would be a better description.

If I had a quibble at all it would be that the recording sounds a bit warmer than neutral. Played through my equipment it gives, to my ears, the impression that the highs are very slightly rolled off. Not enough to worry over. More like enough that someone on first hearing might say, “that’s not an overly bright recording, is it?” But for all I know, it might sound different through the PSA transport and DAC.

1 Like

Initiated a few new policies, among them “items marked FRAGILE should be thrown underhand”

2 Likes

Just got notice that mine is out for delivery today.

2 Likes